Upcoming hurricane Irma....might lose power to incubator. What can I do?

Thank you all very much! I'll
Do what I can to save them! Hopefully the power stays on! God bless us all! ❤️

If you decide to go the inverter route, let me know and I can determine what you need. A computer backup battery might work; just depends on what amps your incubator draws.

I should say that the no heat approach is generally thought to be easier on them earlier on in the development stage. if you can get back up power to them, I'd have it ready. If you find that they are actually hatching during the storm and the lights go out and you are not having to attend to more important things, you could try keeping them close to your body. our body temp is pretty close to the right temp and at that point they will be generating more and more of their own heat. once hatched, keeping them in something akin to a shipping box, which holds heat in and gives adequate ventilation, could just be enough to get them through a couple of days without heat. they can go 2-3 days without heat or food if kept in an box, that's how they can get away with shipping them. bless you and your friends and family during this difficult time!

Ohhh yeah that's right I forgot about the shipping! They do go without heat when they ship. I have 10 live babies right now so hopefully enough will hatch and they can keep eacohther warm. Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the power stays on! ☺️

I had guinea keets that had pipped through the shell get down to ambient temperature (about 70F) for overnight and they were still alive and peeping when I found them the next afternoon. They weren't going to hatch on their own because they were all dehydrated and shrink wrapped and so on, so needed lots of help to hatch.

(Mama guinea had left the nest before all eggs had hatched, and abandoned these 6 eggs).

So, if they really are going to be only a day from hatching - make sure your humidity is up, the temp is ideal, and wrap the incubator in a towel to help it keep as much heat as possible. You might get a bit lower hatch rate, but still probably will do okay.

Or maybe Irma is going to stay west and the worst won't hit you anyway!

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom