Power out but I'm running the incubator. What should I do?

Obsessed With Silkies

Free Ranging
Jan 15, 2022
Hi everyone! I'm currently on my second batch of incubating hatching eggs. The only thing is, this time and the last, the power has gone out during the incubation! It went out today and I wasn't even home! Thankfully, I came back to the perfect temp reading and humidity. I'm just curious if this happens again or any power outage, what should I do? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Hi everyone! I'm currently on my second batch of incubating hatching eggs. The only thing is, this time and the last, the power has gone out during the incubation! It went out today and I wasn't even home! Thankfully, I came back to the perfect temp reading and humidity. I'm just curious if this happens again or any power outage, what should I do? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Funny thing. My power is out too. We're in a ice storm, & it blew a transformer out by the road.

As long as the readings are fine, I wouldn't mess with it.

Let the incubator keep doing its thing. During the great freeze of Texas this time last year, our power was on for 15 minutes then off for hours. Then on for 45 minutes and off for hours. For FIVE DAYS.

We had 22 eggs in our Nurture Right 360 for a week when the storm hit; my wife said let's just see if anything hatches. I think we got either 16 or 18 hatch on day 22 and 23. Out of the few duds, a couple were infertile and a couple were quitters that looked like they died around the time the electricity went.

Most of those chickens were pullets and they're in our main flock today. This is about 1/4 of the flock out on the back pasture. I think we have between 45 and 55 chickens now that I've sent all but three roosters to the freezer.

Attachments

• IMG_20220219_160905606_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220219_160905606_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
That happened to me twice in the winter…. pre-generator. What I did at the time though was keep the incubators in the rooms with the fireplaces. I wrapped them with blankets, because I was worried sick. I was convinced the chicks were going to die for certain. Both times, I had good hatches. Good Wishes for yours! If you have a friend, family, etc that still has power, you COULD get the incubator there if the powers going to be off for an extended period of time.

my power went out thursday 1:30 am until 5 am. i had 1 hatched and 1 pipping. I have the NR360 also. the temp didnt stay up in it so i wrapped my hatchling in a terry towel and put her on my chest where she dried and stayed warm for 3 1/2 hours. The pipped egg was getting cold but i left it in the incubator. around 5 it was really cold and her progress was none so i opened her shell and rubbed her to dry her and th he power came back on thank God. The my hubby says "you should of put a towel over it".🤦‍♀️I was reading while i was up and you can put hot water in plastic bags and put them inside the bator. Someone suggested hot rags for humidity and warmth. I slso had another incubator full of eggs that i left alone. I hope they all hatch.

Back
Top Bottom