UPDATE 10/3 w/ VIDEO: Introduction ACCOMPLISHED!

Here's what I would do. I would beg/borrow a fish net and catch Clarice. Put her in the dog crate on the front porch for a week while the new birds get used to the pen. If Svetlana is too hard on them, put her with Clarice. Once the new birds are used to their pen, they won't act like victims when Clarice and Svetlana show back up. Before you reintroduce everyone, lean some large pieces of plywood against the sides of the pen, so they have plenty of places to hid. Maybe a cardboard box or two sitting in the middle of the pen. Out of sight, out of mind in chicken land. Put extra bowls of water and food here and there so no one has to venture out too far to drink and eat. They should be able to work it out.

Quote:
Well, I cannot/will not catch Clarice--certainly not w/ a fish net! She is still a feral chicken, for all intents and purposes, and I'm pretty sure she would rather die than be caught. I can't take the risk of hurting her--I love that hen! And our relationship is already fraught--if I were to do that, I'm pretty sure she would NEVER forgive me.

I do think that there is some merit to the idea of sequestering Svetlana b/c it would force Clarice to give the new girls a chance out of desperation.

Do you think it's a good idea, once Svetlana is in the house (if I do that) to move Clarice (via herding!) to the little girls' pen and put THEM in the main pen w/ access to the big coop? That way they can get familiar with it, and not act like victims as you say.

You give Clarice way too much credit. Your relationship will not be irreparably harmed if you caught and caged her for a week. It would probably do her good. She could have a whole week to experience you up close and personal, dropping her treats in her cage, not hurting her, not bothering her, just passing by closer and and faster than she was used to before. She can be tamed just the same as any chicken, and having her run wild is not going to tame her any time soon. I understand if you are to tender hearted to net her. Not judging you. You can set up a wire cage trap and just casually ease her into it by putting feed in, and pull the door shut with a string if you want. She will not associate you with being caught. Good luck, whatever you try.

UPDATE:

Since I last posted here, we learned that Bianca is actually BiancO, a roo.
wink.png
I had a freak-out about that, since I won't return him (to what would be certainly a horrible fate) and I don't want my girls constantly harassed, nor do I want to end up with 10 chickens just to provide him w/ sufficient ladies for his libido.

But I've more or less come to terms w/ it. I have my excellent avian vet looking into the possibilities of having him neutered, am hoping against hope that I lucked out and got a gay rooster, and this past weekend went ahead and tried the introduction again. I figured that introducing him NOW, when he's young and easily intimidated by hens, would be better than waiting until he's bigger and randier.
wink.png
Clarice is moulting again (she just moulted in July--I have NO idea what's up w/ her), so she's not 100% herself. I decided that might be a GOOD thing, given her aggressive propensities.

So on Sat. a.m. I opened the door between the 2 runs (It's been Audrey and Bianco in one and Clarice and Svetlana in the other for the past month or so) and held my breath. It went well! Here is a longish video of the first 5 min or so:

Clarice is the moulting Barred Rock; Svetlana is red; Audrey is black; Bianco is big and white.

My fave part is around 1:13--Clarice sort of herds the Younguns into the corner and then Svetlana closes the gap! Audrey squeaks out and Bianco turns around, sees Clarice, and SCOOTS out very fast!

This video stays 100% in the new pen (where Audrey and Bianco have been living), but within a few hours B and A had made it into the old pen as well. That night, after Clarice and Svetlana had settled in, I ended up bringing B and A into the big coop myself--they were dithering around the pophole discussing whether it was more dangerous to spend the night outside versus risking Clarice's wrath. Sunday night, they took themselves in by themselves! They didn't jump up to the bottom roost, though, but were settling on the floor so I gave them a boost.

So at least until Bianco's hormones kick in big-time, we seem to be doing OK. Everyone cross your fingers that I have a gay rooster, OK?
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom