UPDATE #14 Roadrunner

tomatillo

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Will a roadrunner eat my chickens? Specifically, my 2 little hens.

I have a roadrunner that is visiting my backyard. Not sure if he just wants to hang out, or dine.

105386_roadrunner2.jpg

Last edited:
They do kill small birds like sparrows and humming birds... I think a chicken is too big for it, but watch out for the baby chicks.

Thanks. I do have quite a few hummingbirds right around where I have been seeing it. Maybe that is what it is after. There are also mice that come in to drink water because of the drought. Haven't seen as many lately...maybe the roadrunner has taken care of the mice problem. I just do not want it to get my little sweet hens.

These are the hens I am worried about...not quite chicks but still very small:

105386_paloma4.jpg

105386_paloma.jpg

105386_paloma2.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, what sweet little birds. I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable with chickens that size around a roadrunner. They seem a little on the small size, I don't know, maybe it's just the perspective in the pic? Roadrunners are very impressive hunters and I wonder if your chickens are small enough that one might try. We have them in my neighborhood and I wouldn't trust them around chickens that size. Fantastic pic of the roadrunner!

Thanks...it does have me worried. It seems to stay around the rocks along the fenceline and not venture close to the house. So maybe it is looking for mice and scorpions.

Quote:
Thanks...and it was back in that same spot on my fence 5 minutes ago!

Cool bird....hope it behaves and continues to do a service to you!
BTW, are you SURE those are 2 hens? The white one looks boyish to me
hide.gif

The little white one screams boy to me....

I would be cautious with the roadrunner. Opprotunistic hunters will take the opportunity for a quick and easy meal.

Back
Top Bottom