update :14 yr old girl with pet chickens

Crud! I signed her petition and called the mayor's office too...dammit...
hit.gif

It's a sad day in America when we tell a little girl she can't have a couple of chickens............her parents will be saying find something constructive to do instead of watching tv or playing video games or staying glued to Myspace.

hit.gif
I feel bad for her. She should be allowed to keep at least the hens. I hope that doesn't ever happen to me, because I am a fifteen year old girl with chickens and I live in the city. I think my neighbors are nice though......
fl.gif

That is why I will never live in the city again or in a HOA. Where a bunch of condo commando's can try to tell me what I can and can not do. I lived in a house in south Florida that tried to tell we what I could & couldn't do I moved to my 10 area farm where I don't even know my next door neighbors I like it that way. I hope a bunch of people get together to help her out.

Quote:
No I dont remember this story. Is there a link to it, or was there a post on here??

Is the LAW written that no farm animals in the area she is in? I know everyone on here thinks everyone should be allowed to have(even a few hens)chickens. Obviously someone complained and called the police on her. Can we agree that much must have happened. It is the police's responsiblity to uphold the LAW. MAYBE the girls parents(you can't put any responsibility on a minor) should have checked prior to getting her the birds?? At some point and time those tasked with making and enforcing laws wrote NO CHICKENS into thier laws for that town county subdivision. Before we start casting blame, I bet this law was in effect prior to this occurance, and will be there after the girls hurt feelings(and chickens) are long forgotten. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, I guess she got a wake up call that life is not fair. If she decides to start breaking up mailboxes or doing drugs, those things are also addressed in the laws of thier town. Sorry reality sux.

Last edited:
Quote:
No I dont remember this story. Is there a link to it, or was there a post on here??

Is the LAW written that no farm animals in the area she is in? I know everyone on here thinks everyone should be allowed to have(even a few hens)chickens. Obviously someone complained and called the police on her. Can we agree that much must have happened. It is the police's responsiblity to uphold the LAW. MAYBE the girls parents(you can't put any responsibility on a minor) should have checked prior to getting her the birds?? At some point and time those tasked with making and enforcing laws wrote NO CHICKENS into thier laws for that town county subdivision. Before we start casting blame, I bet this law was in effect prior to this occurance, and will be there after the girls hurt feelings(and chickens) are long forgotten. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, I guess she got a wake up call that life is not fair. If she decides to start breaking up mailboxes or doing drugs, those things are also addressed in the laws of thier town. Sorry reality sux.

Point well made.

I got chicks from the feed store 3 blocks from my house, but they are considered illegal. i talked to city council twice, and they still haven't voted on it. when they do, i doubt they will let me keep them since i was impatient and went a second time, 3 months later. if they wont let me keep my birds, i am moving!

EDITED TO ADD: I actually tried looking laws up on the web, but couldn't find anything, so i followed a portland, OR rule, 3 hens no roos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom