Update !! 20 week silkie rooster with curled head and cannot stand up

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madcitypeeps, Oct 11, 2009.

1. madcitypeeps

madcitypeeps New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    Please if anyone can help me.

We had 10 hens. 5 are 18 month olds and the other 5 are silkies that are 20 weeks. 2 weeks ago we found out that 2 of our silky hens are roosters!!!! They started crowing and chasing the ladies.

The trouble began this past Thursday night. I came home to find one of my silkies heads pecked beyond recognition. She was alive but had to be euthanized...I took her to a vet. I came home to night to find one of my silkie roosters lying o his side flapping his wings, with his head twitching and he was unable to stand or keep his head erect. His head keeps flopping to the side...it actually curls. He is breathing hard. HE looked fine an hour before I found him this way. I am afraid I am going to lose him too.

Does anyone have any ideas what this is? Will the rest of my remaining 8 chickens get this too? My 18 month old heans are molting like crazy as well. I do not want to lose my girls or boys for that matter.

Thanks in advance Kim Madison wi

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I don't have any idea. I hope someone will be able to help.

3. madcitypeeps

madcitypeeps New Egg

Jun 14, 2009
    Our little silkie Rooster is still alive this AM. I brought him in last night and gave him water. He still cannot stand up and his head is curled? He does try to stand up and kind of just flops around. It is very sad to watch him. Will keep him in today.

Please if anyone has any ideas! Thanks

4. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Try some vitamin E or some Polyvisol-no iron. Was he injured also?

5. cocosandy

cocosandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Stamford, CT
    I have this too....one of my beloved young polish is currently sick. Ive had this happen before and first of all, if you have multiple birds getting this you may have something in the flock like Mareks. I would contact your extension vet in the area and ask them if they can do a necropsy or what.
    Mareks is always fatal, I believe...
    But the other considerations are a different virus that they get where they flip like that. Usually its just one chicken.
    Thats what mine has...Ive heard that botulism can cause this, and since mine free range it could be that.
    Ive had this exact thing twice before in individuals and the symptoms are that the head and neck go weak and they flap and flip over. When you put them in a hospital cage or box they then to flail a bit and tend to pant.
    Yesterday this young bird could lift its head and eat and drink. So I gave her sweet potato baby food with sprinkles of a B vitamin capsule with all 11 B's in it....I also gave her some dog food and nestling food. I put electrolytes in the water.
    Today she is pretty helpless and I think she is gonna die, but in case its a vitamin issue Ive hand fed her some H2O and electrolytes and she took a little bit of sweet potato.
    I injected her with some B12, and...I think shes not gonna make it. I am going to try to get some saline and put it under her skin as a last resprt...but she is drinking if i offer some by dropper.
    I have a bird here who survived this and she has ongoing neuro problems sucah as walking backwards and going in circles...but she is a good layer (faverolle, I think) and is happy as a chicken could be...unfortunately she is the one that got bumblefoot this year, and it looks like she may lose one of her feet...but thats up in the air...she is still seemingly happy being a chicken, and she is fine as far as infection goes...she has a one withered foot and its almost as if the necrotic tissue has dried around the bone (tho there is blood to the nail) and its just a stick that she limps on.
    I dunno...
    good luck with your birds. If its multiple birds I cant stress enough that you have to find out what it is from the extension vet or a local vet...
    Never a dull moment!
    Melina

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I think i would start be treating for botulism. Do a search on it and see if the symptoms match. I think they are close. Here is something from one of the byc members.

BOTULISM IN BIRD/ COMB DARKENING
    Glenda L Heywood

Botulism in chickens needs to be treated by detoxifying the birds system immediately
    Keep the bird seperated so it can get well faster. No stress from other birds.

THE DARKENING OF THE COMB DENOTES THE BODY IS FIGHTING IT SELF WITH LESS BLOOD FLOW TO EXTERIOR PARTS OF THE CHICKENS BODY

to share with others here
    It is best to flush the chicken with
    5 tbsp of epsom salts
    1 qt of warm water

also give that as only drinking water for 5 days then regular water with acv in it

also get on the probiotics for the bird

3 TBSP OF DRY CRUMBLE FEED
    4 TBSP OF MILK
    1 TBSP OF YOGUART
    when mixed put tbsp of apple sauce on the wet mash
    I would do this twice a day for two weeks

this is an inexpensive and very effective way to detoxify the bird for botulism

7. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Nope sounds like your little silkie boy has CROOKED NECK It is a vitamin e difficeny. Which is quite common in the breed. And can come on quite sudden. And in some cases and not controlled it could kill the bird. This in not contagiouse It has something to do with the brain. Their necks krinkle up and its even harder for them to eat properly.

Find a store that carries vitamin e pill. They should come in gel form. Administor 2 pills in the morning and 2 at night in the mouth.

If anything I have one like that I am trying to treat. So I know exactly what your talking about
    So he doesnt loose body mass try feeding him yourself. Wet crumble food, open his mouth and shove the food in. He is unable to eat right so you will have to do it for him.
    And because it just started it will fix faster. Just keep on with it

8. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    Is you birds legs stiff? Is one out in front of the other?
    If so then it is

Quote:Crooked neck has something to do with the brain. The neck curls inward. And because of that the bird cant see and most of the time is unbalanced.
    You need to take action immidiatly. I had that happen with my rooster almost 3 weeks ago. And by the sounds of it your in the same boat as me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by