*Update* A question about my broody hen, Lulu (with cute pic)

Annie75

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 17, 2011
Ok. So I'm getting in the car now to guy buy the fertile eggs. Lulu will be sitting on them within the hour. No one has stopped me and I'm not in control of myself so there's no-one to blame but you BYC folk (that's what I'm telling my hubby anyways).
tongue2.gif

Hi everyone

Lulu is my cutie-pie silkie and she has been broody for 5 days now. It took a bit of effort but I found a local supplier of fertile eggs and went to buy 6 frizzle pekin bantam and 6 light sussex eggs to put under her tonight. Anyway when I got to the place to pick them up it turned out the guy had accidentally left his eggs at his parent's place. So I have to go back tomorrow. If I get them and place them under her tomorrow evening, will she sit for long enough? It means that she'll be sitting for around 27 days by the time they hatch (and me being the worrywort I am I'm afraid she'll give up if they don't hatch on time).

I'd appreciate your expert opinions: Break up her broodiness and try again next time, or trust her silkie headed determination and get her some eggs to hatch anyway?

Here is a picture of her first clutch of mixed bantams. She was so proud of herself....she's never even had a boyfriend (I haven't explained the facts of life to her yet).

100225_p1020022.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
So true. Actually when I have my baby making appointments with my doctor, half the time my husband isn't even there.

So anyone else?? I'm gonna throw caution to the wind and put eggs under her tonight. It's 1pm where I am, you've got about 4 hours to stop me....

My last broody sat for 33 days. She sat 10 days on duds. Then I got her new hatching eggs and another 23 days. She even sat 2 days after the first chicks hatched trying to get every last egg to hatch. And the most wonderful thing about it is that I'd treated her unsuccessfully for bumble foot twice. All that sitting cured her!

I say go for it!

Still quite clueless about chickens, and my advice shouldn't be taken, but here's what I've found in my very limited experience: My broody was broody for several days before I gave her eggs. I let her sit on them for 25 days before accepting they were duds, and then gave her a new bunch of eggs. We're 14 days in on that bunch, and she's still broody. Looking a little worse for wear, but determined to hatch these eggs.

So, I bet your broody will stick it out.

(FTR, once these eggs hatch (or dont), I will be breaking her of her broodiness when this is over)

Back
Top Bottom