Update and crazy question.

rubberduckies

Songster
8 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Kentucky
Hey there! I haven't logged on in about 6 months so here's an update. I had 5 ducks who were fenced in but kept getting out. I took down the fence and everything was great. Ducks were happy, I was happy. They never roamed too far and still went in their house at night to be locked up. But while I was on Thanksgiving vacation and a neighbor was caring for them, a fox ate 3 of them. :( So now I have two girls left. My Pekin, Puddle and my Runner, Stella. Things are good with them. They turned a year old last month! They're molting right now and haven't laid any eggs in a few weeks. Does anybody know how long that will last?

So here's my crazy question. Would I be a complete idiot to get chicks? Two girls. And house them with my ducks and let them free range all day with the ducks. My ducks do not have food or water inside the house. They have a pool but it's off on it's own. So the chickens wouldn't be around splashing water. The duck house is about 4 ft tall. What about a roast? And would my ducks accept the chicks as part of their flock?

I have 10 hens, 2 roosters, 2 drakes and 2 ducks that all share a 10 x 20 house. The ducks were purchased with some of the chicks as day olds so the grew up together but I have since then added in 5 more hens and one baby duck that turned out to be a drake. They all get along o.k. I let them out every morning and the ducks go to the creek or range around the yard and the chickens usually stay within 20 feet or so of the run and coop. Every evening I go out around 8 ish and they are all in the coop already. So, it's possible but like I said, mine grew up together so that might make a difference.

I had ducks. Then I added chicks.
The chickens don't care about the ducks very much. They hang with them when they want to.
The ducks don't care FOR the chickens. If the chickens get close, the ducks usually move. But they also let them hang out with them at times.

One night recently, a chicken was in the duck house. The ducks went it, were locked up and I opened the roof when I heard them going nuts. Piled up on each other in the far corner from the chicken. Open the other side of the roof, remove offending chicken and all was fine again LOL

With a big enough space, I could probably house them together at night. Just protect the ducks from roosting chickens pooping on them.

Back
Top Bottom