Update: Chicks dying, falling over and can't get back up

I'm glad you called. You have to be pretty sick to shake chicks. That's alot of chicks together to be cold, but I guess it can be. Kathy has some good ideas, but maybe they're the effects of whatever happened.
I guess what I would do is make them wet mash from the crumbles, maybe some flavoring from molasses or sugar. They love wet mash. And some vitamins. More you can't do. It's sad.

Good for Murray McMurray! That is great customer service.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I will leave you now.

I wish you all the best!

Hope you stick around BYC, and I will see you in other threads!

Thank you everyone! Y'all are so helpful!

My postal lady is scared of chicks, but I'm pretty sure she's careful with them. She knows who we are since we're the only people around here who order chicks through the mail. She holds the boxes as far as she can away from her, but she's very gentle. She calls us first thing in the morning when they arrive and let's us in before the post office opens. I would suspect a careless airline worker. I've seen them throw plenty of luggage.

I'm heading out to make sugar mash right now! Thank you!

Bbutter, my post gal is the same way, carries them like they were crystal. And I'm sure the majority of postal workers are great thoughtful people. But every now and then, you will met a psychopath, even in the postal system.

In all, we lost 54 chicks. :( On the positive side, Murray McMurray is sending 54 new ones. They should be here in the morning.
Everyone has stabilized and looking much, much better. They are eating and drinking a ton and running around like they should. Some are definitely stunted, though. Such a strange thing. Looking back, I think they weren't actually eating as well as I thought they were. I think I was seeing the same chicks at the feeder every time and the others weren't eating.

Grind down the chick crumbles, or feed wet mash. I can't tell you how many times I've noticed chicks not really eating because the crumbles were too big.

Back
Top Bottom