UPDATE: Diarrhea, Belabored Breathing, Puffed Up and Lacking Energy

Orit

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
One of my 2-year-old New Hampshire Red's started having diarrhea the day before yesterday (and possibly before). Yesterday, she looked kind of "puffed up" and stayed in one spot in the coop, closing her eyes for stretches at a time. We did some initial internet research and ended up bringing her inside. Her comb was discolored and had black spots on it. We rubbed it with vaseline. It looks much better now and the black spots seem to be gone. We gave her yogurt and medicated starter feed. She ate a little bit of both. She made it through the night. She's not changing her position, but she is raising her head and looking around. Her breathing still seems to be belabored and she still looks kind of puffed up. All the other chickens seem fine. We cleaned out the coop this weekend and there were no signs of mites. Any thoughts about what could be going on and what else I can do for her? Thanks in advance for any advice you can send my way!

UPDATE: My girl seems to be improved. She has moved a few times around the cage she is in (old iguana cage with a second level) and she roosted on the second level last night. This morning I put a little bit of rice in her medicated starter feed (they love rice) and she picked out every last grain. She seems to have a little bit more of an appetite. There are still some signs of a runny stool, but she has not excreted very much in terms of content, and she hasn't yet laid an egg. She's doing more standing on her 2 feet rather than hunkering down on the ground. Is it safe to feel hopeful???

Last edited:
You need to bring her inside where it's warm. When mine are sick I keep the room at about 80 degrees. Once she's warm, do a thorough exam. Has she been wormed? Is she molting? When was the last time she laid?

-Kathy

You need to bring her inside where it's warm. When mine are sick I keep the room at about 80 degrees. Once she's warm, do a thorough exam. Has she been wormed? Is she molting? When was the last time she laid?

-Kathy
Thanks, Kathy! Yes - we brought her inside yesterday and she made it through the night. She has never been wormed. She is not molting. I'm not sure when was the last time she laid because we have a flock, so it's hard to know who laid which egg. She's been indoors since yesterday (it's snowing really heavily outside now) and she hasn't laid an egg yet, but I'm doubting she will because she's so weak. And if she did, I think it would do her in. Thoughts?

Given the diarrhea, I would suspect worms or infection. Any chance you can take her to a vet? If not, can you get supplies for tube feeding?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

-Kathy
The diarrhea seems to have stopped. She just seems so weak and seems to be working so hard to breathe. She did get up once to eat some of the yogurt with dried worms (I put those in there to entice her - all my girls love those dried worms). I don't know of a vet, but I can certainly do some research. I've read a little more online. Is it worth exploring antibiotics?

THANKS SO MUCH for your help!
Orit

The only antibiotic I would try using is Baytril, but I fear it's probably too late. Worming is usually something I do with mine when they're sick, but I'd hate to advise you to do that without seeing her and her poop.

-Kathy

The only antibiotic I would try using is Baytril, but I fear it's probably too late. Worming is usually something I do with mine when they're sick, but I'd hate to advise you to do that without seeing her and her poop.

-Kathy
Thanks so much! Are yogurt and medicated starter feed a good idea, do you think?

Thanks so much! Are yogurt and medicated starter feed a good idea, do you think?
I would try just the starter mixed with water, but if she won't eat it unless it has yogurt, then add the yogurt. Tube feeding is what I would do, but most people don't want to deal with finding and buying the supplies needed.

-Kathy

I would try just the starter mixed with water, but if she won't eat it unless it has yogurt, then add the yogurt. Tube feeding is what I would do, but most people don't want to deal with finding and buying the supplies needed.

-Kathy
Thanks for sticking with me, Kathy! The only way I can get her to eat anything is to throw those dried worms in.. I just tried putting them in the starter but she seems to be too tired to eat. She keeps closing her eyes. I fear we are near the end :(

Thanks for sticking with me, Kathy! The only way I can get her to eat anything is to throw those dried worms in.. I just tried putting them in the starter but she seems to be too tired to eat. She keeps closing her eyes. I fear we are near the end :(
I'm sorry, just do your best to keep her warm, hydrated and fed.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom