update: do you think this EEer is a rooster or a hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chicken Fruit, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I had asked before but wanted to chekc again

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=141001

Theres the original from a few weeks ago. These guys are now just about 5 weeks old.

The first picture is of two of my 4 EE's. The one of the left is in question (ChuChuck), the one on the right looks just like all my other EE's in color and size.

[​IMG]

ChuChuck from the side
    [​IMG]

ChuChuck's back, he's up against my knees... lol sorry.
    [​IMG]

The last two are the same shots of the EE pullet.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think ChuChuck is probably just a dark hen. But I thought I'd ask a panel of experts [​IMG] I just wonder because- although it doesnt look like it in the first picture ChuChuck is bigger than the other three, and the feathers at the back of his neck and saddle are more pointed than the other three- and ChuChuck is darker too... And taller.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2009
  2. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Im no expert but I would look for pointy saddle and hackle feathers on a male. I have learned that by reading responses to similar questions from folks on this site.

3. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Thanks... thats what had be wondering... this chicks feathers in those areas are a lot more pointed, and thinner- where as the others are more spoon shaped.

4. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

How are his legs now, compared with the others?

5. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:Theyre noticeably longer.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What some people do not realize is that EEs and Ameraucanas' hackles usually look pointy on both sexes, and the male saddle feathers dont come in right away. In my experience with these, the saddles come in visibly after around 10 weeks old.

The legs on that first one are VERY thick, but I dont see a real boy-like comb on it yet.

7. Chicken Fruit

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Quote:This is quite the mystery. I think when it comes down to it, Chuchuck will probably end up proven as a hen.

Especially now knowing the hackle feather info you gave.

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

If his legs are noticibly longer/thicker I would lean towards roo, but EE's are ridiculously hard to sex. I have 6 4-weekers right now and every day I think different ones must be the roos.

9. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    chuchuck is a a boy. pretty sure.

compare there leg width. if his are wider he is a he.

10. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Based on her color pattern, yours looks like a pullet to me. She may always be bigger.

One of my 3 EE chicks was bigger than the other two, had a wider, 3 row comb, different type coloring (more male looking than yours). I was sure she would be a male. She's still a lot bigger than the other two and ended up being the first to lay at only 22 weeks of age.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by