update: do you think this EEer is a rooster or a hen

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
I had asked before but wanted to chekc again

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=141001

Theres the original from a few weeks ago. These guys are now just about 5 weeks old.

The first picture is of two of my 4 EE's. The one of the left is in question (ChuChuck), the one on the right looks just like all my other EE's in color and size.

3387575696_a28a3bc4bd_b.jpg

ChuChuck from the side
3387575754_dac1439dde_b.jpg

ChuChuck's back, he's up against my knees... lol sorry.
3387575838_8e59ef4c45_b.jpg

The last two are the same shots of the EE pullet.
3387575918_6dc15c69f4_b.jpg

3387576004_eafe22226f_b.jpg

i think ChuChuck is probably just a dark hen. But I thought I'd ask a panel of experts
tongue.png
I just wonder because- although it doesnt look like it in the first picture ChuChuck is bigger than the other three, and the feathers at the back of his neck and saddle are more pointed than the other three- and ChuChuck is darker too... And taller.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks... thats what had be wondering... this chicks feathers in those areas are a lot more pointed, and thinner- where as the others are more spoon shaped.

What some people do not realize is that EEs and Ameraucanas' hackles usually look pointy on both sexes, and the male saddle feathers dont come in right away. In my experience with these, the saddles come in visibly after around 10 weeks old.

The legs on that first one are VERY thick, but I dont see a real boy-like comb on it yet.

Quote:
This is quite the mystery. I think when it comes down to it, Chuchuck will probably end up proven as a hen.

Especially now knowing the hackle feather info you gave.

Based on her color pattern, yours looks like a pullet to me. She may always be bigger.

One of my 3 EE chicks was bigger than the other two, had a wider, 3 row comb, different type coloring (more male looking than yours). I was sure she would be a male. She's still a lot bigger than the other two and ended up being the first to lay at only 22 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom