Update from Southern Colorado! :-)

ColoradoSLV

Songster
5 Years
Jul 1, 2016
It's been a while, but here's an update on my twelve-bird flock:

-The birds all look like they're doing well!

-Four eggs in five days! They're probably from the Sussex and I find 'em in the dusting box. I'm changing to a layer feed (AgLand from the local co-op) - I think the youngest birds are about old enough (a little over four months old).

-Look like I have two roosters with 2-4 'alpha' females! The oldest rooster is the Silver Laced Wyandotte I got to keep the Sussex company; one of the Rhode Island Red is a male, too; and the 'alpha' females are pretty feisty - especially toward the Barnevelder.

-The SLW has been crowing for nearly two weeks, is definitely the Alpha bird...and has been trying to mate with the Sussex most often, but has tried to mount a couple of the (too young yet?) RIRs. I've seen the other male try to mate with a RIR, but he seems pretty subdued. (I don't want any new 'chicklets' running around, so I'm looking to rehome the males and at least two of the female RIRs.)

-They all seem to have their voices, with some more quiet than others. Several sound like they're kinda underwater (a 'borborygmus' tone to 'em), and about half show their displeasure with louder sounds (hammering, the SLW crowing, running the Allis-Chalmers tractors).

I find myself spending too much time just watching their behaviors. They're quite entertaining, seem smart and kinda dumb at the same time, but knows who brings their food to 'em!

(Wonder if I'm still a "New Egg"? I'll see when I post! :) )

Y'all take care!

Sounds like your flock is doing well. I watch mine a lot too. It's like an ongoing soap opera out there! They are very smart about chicken business. What's I find particularly interesting is how the pecking order works. Just about the time you think one is being bullied (bottom of the totem pole), chicks come along, and suddenly the girl on the bottom is elivated in stature, and has others to bully. Anyway, so glad to hear you are enjoying your flock.

Thanks for the nice words! The chickens sure are entertaining!

----
I took the two roosters to the local livestock auction yesterday - the Wyandotte and the Rhode Island Red.

It was kinda sad that the Wyandotte who normally runs from me, stayed on my knee without me holding him in place. It was kinda like he knew what was happening the next day. I did ask the auction representative if any of the birds ever went to cock-fighters. She affirmed that they didn't - the roosters are a pain in the neck (I do have a lower opinion of them! :) ) but they don't deserve that kind of 'treatment'.

So - I should be down to ten pullets now. No new eggs as of last night, but I'll see what kind of surprises the hens have for me!

Back
Top Bottom