UPDATE - graphic photo - Day 18 - no more movement?

So sorry about your hatch : ( Did you calibrate thermometers? I could be humidity as well..... below are some links on what happened.... Also you may want to read the dry incubation menthods.....

My Links for additional information

CALIBRATION! YES! It’s IMPORTANT!
Calibrate the thermometer/s you are using for your Incubator. I use 3 thermometers! You need to make sure your thermometer is reading correctly, Even one degree may cause serious problems with your hatch! A simple method without specialized instruments and knowledge is to compare your thermometer/hygrometer with other devices. If your thermometer (or the one you compare it with) goes at least from 0°C to 100°C you can also calibrate it with crushed ice. The therrmometer should read 32 degrees in a mixture of crushed ice and a little water. If it reads, say, 30 degrees, then you can either adjust the thermometer until it is correct (if the style of the thermometer permits adjustment), or else you will at least know your thermometer reads 2 degrees too cool and adjust your thinking--and your incubator--accordingly.
More information on Calibrating your thermometer/hygrometer ~
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-a-styrofoam-quotstill-airquot-egg-/step4/Calibrate-your-thermometerhygrometer/
http://www.swowea.org/Thermometer%20Calibration.pdf

Sally Sunshine - Thank you so much for the wealth of information!

Had not heard of calibrating the thermometer...can it be done on a digital?
My incubator is homemade, so I wasn't expecting much in the way of success. Temp was pretty regularly at 100-101, though we did have quite a few dips and spikes...none lasted very long though. When I saw them wiggling on day 17, I got a wee bit excited. I have to say, that I think they looked a bit small for day 17? Also, the air cells weren't nearly as large as what I've seen while researching. All three of them died at right about the same time, which tells me that whatever caused it was the same for all three.

*sigh* heartbreaking, isn't it?

Sally Sunshine - Thank you so much for the wealth of information!

Had not heard of calibrating the thermometer...can it be done on a digital?
My incubator is homemade, so I wasn't expecting much in the way of success. Temp was pretty regularly at 100-101, though we did have quite a few dips and spikes...none lasted very long though. When I saw them wiggling on day 17, I got a wee bit excited. I have to say, that I think they looked a bit small for day 17? Also, the air cells weren't nearly as large as what I've seen while researching. All three of them died at right about the same time, which tells me that whatever caused it was the same for all three.

*sigh* heartbreaking, isn't it?
I think the best links to the digital ones are tiny on the bottom of that post..... All I did was a google and read read and pull what made the most sense
Thats why I asked about calibration, I had a hard time figuring it all out and which thermometers to use and such! we also have one homemade but we have a wafer thermostat in it and THANK GOD for that! as we have less than .5 degree variance... love it better than the store bought one for sure!!! That link is also in my signature lol coolerbator or incubator i forget what I called it! lol

I know it is. Dont let it discourage you at all!! read and read some more and you will have a great hatch!!
A few of us hang out in an incubating thread, you are welcome to come hang with us too! its nice to always have someone there for support and a good laugh! just pop in when your ready and say hello! link is in my signature where I am at......

I'm definitely going to try again. Now I just have to get my hands on some more eggs, since I'm pretty certain that my Cochin is no longer giving me fertile eggs.

I'm definitely going to try again. Now I just have to get my hands on some more eggs, since I'm pretty certain that my Cochin is no longer giving me fertile eggs.
bun.gif

Back
Top Bottom