El Naked Neck

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Earth
) What type of bird , age and weight.
buff orpington,7 months

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
not standing up,quit eatingand drinking,eyes dialated,,and her head turns 360 degrees and low to the ground

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
6 days

4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no,no,no.no

5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
have no idea,she lives with others that are fine

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all?
medicated starter grower,fed by tube, and water

7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
mostly white watery,but after tube feeding the poop is black

8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
1 day sulmet

9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
self

10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
47603_swap_010.jpg

47603_swap_009.jpg

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use
soft blanket,in a large cage,that gets clean every day

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, in the absence of anyone else chiming in, I will give you my 2cents.

That bird is SICK. You need to keep her away from all the others, and you need to scrub yourself and everything she comes into contact with.

Honestly - and I am so sorry to say this - you probably ought to cull. I'd be very surprised if she makes it. I always try not to prolong agony.

You're doing the right thing with the Sulmet - does she have any 'rattling' in her chest, eye / nose / beak discharge? If so, hit her with some Tylan too. Also, maybe try something higher in protein, if you are tube feeding. Scrambled egg, for example.

I'm really sorry about this. It must be very difficult.

Some kind of vitamin boost wouldn't hurt. Maybe a Vit B complex and the vits you give chicks, I can't remember the name right now.

ETA: I hit go before I was done
smile.png

Last edited:
Could it be wry neck?
May I ask why you are tube feeding and why are you giving her Sulmet? Is it because of this head turning?
If it's wry neck, she needs to be on a vitamin regimen.
Selenium, Vitamin E and Polyvisol. I think there are some B vitamins as well, but can't remember right at this moment.

Quote:
Great minds think alike! Hopefully it is wry neck-think it can be pretty sucessfully treated.

Quote:
I'm feed tubing her because she won't eat. I gave her vitamin E gel for a few days no difference. put her on sulmet for only a day because it didn't seem like that kind of illness. I can start her on poly but for how long do i do it for before i see anything different? and where do i find vitamin B?

Back
Top Bottom