UPDATE:help on injured rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Alicia G, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    My rooster spent a few days relaxing in the basement and he has made a full recovery! Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    I would use aspirin or an antibiotic rather than tylenol. You can search this forum for dosages - he probably needs some kind of antibiotics for the injury.

3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Do not use Tylenol ! Use baby aspirin. For our girls we use about 1/4 of a baby aspirin every 12 hours. We found the easiest way to give it to them was crushed into a powder and put on a treat they enjoy. A moist treat that the powder sticks to works well, something like bologna,pasta or the like.

Hope that helps!
    Larry

4. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry for your roo's injury. Does he have a scab that can be picked off to let drain? If so , pull the scab off, clean with hydrogen peroxide then change over to iodine solution diluted with water until it looks like a strong iced tea. Like the previous post suggested....use baby asprin instead. THis came from my vet.....my hen weighed 6.6 lbs we gave her .23 ml (cc) orally of the tylan 200 for two weeks for a joint infection. I wouldn't know how to decrease that to accomodate your roo but maybe a healthcare professional will chime in . If you use the Tylan 50 it would be .85 ml or cc orally for a 6.6 lb bird. Joint infections take longer to heal. THat was once a day. ( 5 grams baby asprin in 8 oz of water) 12 yes twelve 81 mg of baby asprin in 8 oz of water. I crushed it up put it in some water mixed with the vit and mineral powder. I wanted to stretch the baby asprin so I used ten of them instead of twelve. The effectiveness of the baby asprin only last 12 hours...so new water twice a day. Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by