Update! Hen suddenly making odd sound is healed!

It sounds like she is having stridor, a wheezing sound that can happen when a small piece of feed, mucus plug, or swelling affects the airway (trachea.) It can disappear within a few hours, or if it is accompanied by sneezing and head shaking, it may be caused by a respiratory infection.
If she’s not better by morning would you suggest medicating that entire group? Or if she’s not sneezing or head shaking don’t? If so with what medication would you suggest? I have a tractor supply near. Thank you!

If she’s not better by morning would you suggest medicating that entire group? Or if she’s not sneezing or head shaking don’t? If so with what medication would you suggest? I have a tractor supply near. Thank you!
I agree, it does sound like stridor. Hopefully it will resolve on it's own.
If it continues, then look inside her beak for obstruction, mucous or canker.
It's best practice to treat only birds that have symptoms if you determine that the cause is respiratory infection. You might be able to find Tylan50 at TSC, otherwise you can order it online or use Tylosin Powder which is also ordered online.
Keep us posted.
It sounds like she is having stridor, a wheezing sound that can happen when a small piece of feed, mucus plug, or swelling affects the airway (trachea.) It can disappear within a few hours, or if it is accompanied by sneezing and head shaking, it may be caused by a respiratory infection.

I agree, it does sound like stridor. Hopefully it will resolve on it's own.
If it continues, then look inside her beak for obstruction, mucous or canker.
It's best practice to treat only birds that have symptoms if you determine that the cause is respiratory infection. You might be able to find Tylan50 at TSC, otherwise you can order it online or use Tylosin Powder which is also ordered online.
Keep us posted.
Update! She is all better this morning!

Great news. I had a hen who used to eat too fast and she would get stridor occasionally. It always went away overnight. I agree with Wyorp Rock that it is not usually necessary to treat all birds when one has a respiratory infection. Since she is better this morning, it was just something in her airway that was probably temporary or coughed up. That can create antibiotic resistance when they needlessly are given antibiotics.

I have an Easter Egger that started doing this whenever she was younger. I found that this happened whenever she was startled while eating, like mentioned above. I actually made a post back then whenever this happened for the first time (04/2020). Being the bird she is and me being me, she was a bit more dramatic and so was I ☺️ I say all of this to mention that this has happened to my hen multiple times, but as time goes by, it's pretty rare nowadays. You've already received words of wisdom from our trusted and amazing members above and your bird is all better, but I just wanted to share my experience with you. After the second or third time of this happening, I started leaving her with her flock and she'd be much better with just a little bit of time. I wish you and your flock the very best ❤️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom