Update: May have to cull..Foot Problem - Poor/no circulation?

carolynb

Chicken Kisser
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Raynham
Our 11 week old Wheaton Marans (runt) has a major foot problem. It appears as though there is little to no circulation in one foot - the tip of the middle toe appears to be turning black. It looks like she will lose toes at the very least if left untreated. I was wondering if anyone has every dealt with this before and has some advice. Her toes have turned inward since she was hatched. I GREATLY appreciate any help or suggestions...

31694_dscn5686.jpg

31694_dscn5687.jpg

31694_dscn5688.jpg

31694_dscn5689.jpg

ETA: She is in obvious pain. Of course we can't allow her to stay this way. I have no idea what to do and my husband is ready to cull. It's freezing outside and I don't even know what we would do with her body if we do cull.
hit.gif
She is such a sweet girl....

Last edited:
I moved it for you. I have never seen anything like this, but wanted to ask if you looked over the upper thigh area well to see if anything could be constricting circulation? Maybe a very think string of hair. Look in the fluff of feathers right near where they start going up the leg. How long has your bird been like this? It doesn't seem completely shut off, so maybe slightly and it is tightening. Not sure.

Thank you for moving the post, hinkjc! I will check on her thigh. She is supposed to be feather footed and is not...but I thought that was a common occurrence. I just don't want to lose this little girl...she is so sweet!!

I checked her legs and didn't find anything that looked like it was constricting her blood flow. I brought her in and massaged her foot and leg for a while. Hopefully that will help get the blood flowing...
sad.png
I hope she'll be ok!!!

Two things that are natural and will help circulation are cayenne pepper and gingko biloba. One expands arteries and other thins blood naturally. Both are really cheap and can be ordered online. They can be bought at health food stores and likely at Krogers too.
wink.png

Thanks, gsim! Have you actually used these items on chickens? I have the cayenne pepper..just need to get the gingko biloba. I really appreciate the help!! Any other suggestions are welcome
smile.png

ALSO ADDED THIS TO FIRST POST:

She is in obvious pain. Of course we can't allow her to stay this way. I have no idea what to do and my husband is ready to cull. It's freezing outside and I don't even know what we would do with her body if we do cull.
hit.gif
She is such a sweet girl....

Stay strong and wait to see if can heal. Cost is pennies and you will feel bad if you do not give it a good go. I have not doctored chickens, but those two things do what I said they do.
smile.png

Another thing that will bring oxygen to the foot is to use DMSO . It can be ordered online. It is a by-product of the lumber industry and is Dimethysulfoxide. I bought the 99.9% pure straight stuff and by law it must be labeled a solvent (FDA protection for their clients, the drug cos who cannot control or patent it) It should be diluted in distilled water to 70% for human use so as not to irritate skin too much. I have used it when I had a really bad chainsaw gash and also for a broken shoulder. It relieves pain instantly on contact in seconds by transporting oxygen into the tissues where it is applied. It has and causes a sulphur smell. IF skin gets irritated, rub in emu oil or aloe vera for relief of the dryness it causes.
wink.png

I have a pullet of 7 mo who is lame. She is the runt and also the sweetest of the 24 chooks I have. I am feeding her cottage cheese with CMO, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, and Circumin. Am hoping to reduce or eliminate the pain that I think she has in her hip joint. Appears that nothing is broken. Suspect that was a mid-air collision with another chook that I did not see. Showed up when she was about 2 1/2 mo old.
sad.png

Feel free to email me as I do not visit this subject of forum very often.

Gerry

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom