UPDATE - my chicken still won't eat. Help

whisper's wife

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
The sick chicken is a dominicker hen, part of a small flock of six. She's about 2 years old. All the other chickens seem fine. She has been lethargic and gave up much interest in food a couple of days ago. Everyone else ran for the morning feed, while she just kind of meandered around the yard peeking around a little. She had bright green poop yesterday (from not eating?). Her crop is empty. We got a little water and yogurt into her last night with a syringe. If we cradle her and put it against her mouth she will take some. We got a little more water and kefir into her this morning the same way. She refused the boiled egg I offered and I don't think she is taking any water on her own. She is separated from the flock in a box in our house. The only plan I have is to keep giving her some kefir and water by syringe every few hours. I don't know what else to do. Please advise.

You could try force feeding her--you might want to do a search here on BYC for instructions on that. But it sounds like her long term prognosis is not good. Perhaps lymphoid leukosis? Does she have ANY other symptoms?

I've had good luck getting sick hens to eat wet cat food, but it sounds like your girl has something pretty serious going on. Can you give some more details. Just getting food into her isn't going to be enough if the underlying issue isn't taken care of.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom