Update! New Pics~Baby Doll Cochins! My 3 year project is hatching the final Pure Bred generation ton

BunnyMomma

Songster
9 Years
Sep 17, 2010
Olin, North Carolina
Hi, Cochins are my favorite! About 3 years ago, I started my own Baby Doll Cochin Project. The F3 generation adult birds weigh 16 to 22 ounces. My first Pure bred chicks are hatching as I type this! I can hardly stand it! I started with birchen cochins(my all time favorite). I know I will still have a lot of work to do on this project. I have a dear friend, who is working with me so that we can perfect the breed and apply for recognition with the APA. This will take some time, but I am having so much fun with them. I am working on several new colors of "Baby Dolls" too. It takes 3 to 4 years to get to this point with the project. I thought I would share the progression of my project with the "Cochin Lovers" here. I will try to post some pictures as soon as I get my camera back from the repair shop. I love this thread! I will certainly learn a lot from the more experienced breeders and backyard scientists.

Last edited:
As soon as I can I will be posting some pics!
The weekends are kind of busy around here.
wee.gif

I do not understand how anyone can proclaim success on a genetic project of this magnitude to shrink a bantam Cochin from 32 oz to 21 oz at maturity in three years time. With no data or pictures I can not believe this . That would make them smaller than a Sebright, Modern Game , Old English. Hard to grasp accomplishing this in 3 years.

Hi! I have an educational background in Nursing, Science and Genetics. I can, and DO Claim success in my project and my birds are right here to prove it. I have kept immaculate records of my breeding program,( my records are private and will never be available at any time)
hugs.gif
I do still have some minor adjustments to make with a few tiny type issues. It might be difficult for you to grasp, but I can assure you I absolutely did this in 3 years, with help from my faith in God and my genetic experience. I have plenty of documentation, witnesses, etc. I have a trusted friend that is helping me with raising them, and she and I are enjoying the work together. It is a real blessing to have a friend to share your joy with. You might doubt me,
hu.gif
but it does not matter. I have not released all of the photos yet! I will be posting them when I am good and ready. They are wonderful and I will not let anyone, anywhere dampen my enthusiasm! God is great! Life is good today!
wee.gif

Toodleooo!
P.S. I have several other colors in the "Baby Doll" Project that will be available in 2 to 3 years.

Last edited:
I do not understand how anyone can proclaim success on a genetic project of this magnitude to shrink a bantam Cochin from 32 oz to 21 oz at maturity in three years time. With no data or pictures I can not believe this . That would make them smaller than a Sebright, Modern Game , Old English. Hard to grasp accomplishing this in 3 years.
I do not understand how a plane flies, but people fly in them everyday. There are many things that I don't understand, but I'm open minded enough to not discount their existence. There have been great discoveries that I still can't explain, but I'm so glad that someone had the foresight to discover them. These babydolls are one of those things. They are the smallest and cutest things that I have ever seen. Yes, I have seen them with my own eyes and they are about exactly half the size of a bantam cochin. Success comes in many packages, but this one comes in a babydoll package. Congratulations Jody, I can't think of a person that deserves this success more than you. Please just believe in them because unlike Santa Claus they do exist.

I have some pictures to share with you all. I appreciate your interest in my project and I hope you enjoy seeing my "Baby Doll Birchen Cochins"
Thanks! BunnyMomma
love.gif
I photographed them in my homemade "banty wagon" which is made from the 14.5 inch square, wire storage cubes.
Each panel is 14.5 inches square, so it gives you a fairly good guide for comparing the size of the birds.
Levi is the "Baby Doll" Rooster on the Left, of course. Emilio is the bantam cochin on the right.
There is a bantam cochin behind Emilio, but you can only see her head a little bit.
I put a quart jar of water with red food coloring, as an added comparison for size.
Keep in mind, that the new offspring that I am hatching from this generation (F3) Levi, and a few select hens,
will be a few ounces smaller than this generation! I think I have pretty good type, and nice feathering.
I don't know what the final feather pattern quality will be yet. Levi and Rachel are just a year old, so I think
that their feather quality potential will not be finished for several months. I have several chicks from
Levi and Rachel right now that are just 2 weeks old. I can't wait to see how they turn out.
The second pic, is just a closeup of their faces. I think they have beautiful eyes. Levi, is so sweet!
He loves to be held. Rachel, well she doesn't like being handled much! I had a crazy time
trying to getting a good photo of her.
The third pic is a photo of the Bantams in comparison to the "Baby Dolls"

Thanks for looking! I hope you enjoy seeing my cuties!

Back
Top Bottom