Brinda

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 16, 2008
Campbellsburg, KY
These are all Americaunas.

My poor pullet.
sad.png
They have been together for a week without any fighting at all. I opened up the coop this morning to let them out, and my beautiful black and white pullet has a large wound on the back of her head about the size of a nickel. The skin is just completely seperated. I thought maybe she got caught on something, but the older hen started trying to peck her as I was holding her.

I moved the older hen back into the goat pen where she has lived until a week ago.

I moved the pullet from the coop into a cage I had them in before the coop was built. I tried to put some neosporin and a bandage on it, but she works the bandage loose and then ended up opening the wound more, so I settled on just leaving it off.

Is there anything else I can do?

Last edited:
If you can get your hands on an ointment called Fura-Zone, I would definitely recommend using that. You can find it at most feed stores, including tractor supply, and it is usually in the equine section. It comes in a small black container and the ointment is a bright yellow color.

Apply this generously to the wounds on a regular basis. You will not need to do it too many times, as the wound will start to heal almost immediately. This stuff is just wonderful. It also keeps the flies off and prevents the other birds from picking at the wounds. The wounds will not need to be covered when using fura-zone.

Quote:
So with this stuff I could take her out of quarantine? I think she'd love that. She does not like being by herself very much at all!

You will have to see. Some bird may still pick, but I've had good luck putting one or two chickens in a small pen or cage to keep my injured one company. You may want to try that first for a few days to a week before sticking her in the coop with several other chickens. She is already a little weak from healing, and putting her back with the crowd may overload her.

See if you can choose another one of your more docile birds to put in with the injured one. One is much less likely to peck than several.

I just wanted to update and say thank you. She healed up just fine on her own with just a bit of neosporin. Her feathers are back, and just a tiny scab is left. She does NOT like being alone. Everytime I come by she throws herself against the cage to try to get out.

I tried putting her back after seeing how upset she was since her wound was all scabbed up. When I came out in the morning, it was way open again, so she had to go back into the cage.

Back
Top Bottom