1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

update on 142 nest (now 212)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by panner123, Jun 16, 2007.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    We now have found 212 of our 225 hens setting on nest of 6 to 8 eggs each. All the nest are flagged so we can locate them to check on them. Still missing 13 hens. We hope to find them tomorrow. Each hen normally hatches 8 chicks, so if all 225 heans are normal that means a BIIGGG BAR-B-O once all the roos start crow. Yes if half are hens, that means i will have about 900 roos in about three weeks. HELPPP! I am glad I live close to a livestock auction. See what happens when your grand daughter wants A (1) ONE) chicken. I am going to have to come out of retirement to feed them.

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

roflmao!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Where are you? I'm kind of handy around a grill

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sounds like you need to have a HUGE BYC FAMILY BBQ! Oh my, I would be freaking out if I had that many broodys!

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    :eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!!! OMG!!! That is unbelievable!!! Are they just scattered throughout a meadow or what? Don't you have any predator problems? Lastly, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Ellen

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I said it before, and I'll say it again: [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    WOW!!! What would make all those hens go broody at the same time...[​IMG]
    Very strange...

7. Jezebelle

Jezebelle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2007
    Pinnacle, NC
    that is so amazing!! you should post some pics!!

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:I am between Auburn & Colfax Ca. CoyoteMagic, how are you at puckling?

All my hens have been trying to brood since early March, I try to let each hen have a turn. The others I put plastic Easter eggs under & collect the eggs. Yep, they are all over the hillside & down the cayon. As for predators I have an electric fence around that five acres to keep the bear,coon fox & the like out. But, the mountain lion & bobcat can clear the fence. I also have motion dectors aroung the property with lights on some, radios & whislers on some. I still have to worry about hawks, owl & eagles. I just got back from the chicken aution in Roseville, I sold some roos, averaged $15 each and I sold a few 6 week old ones for $5 each. Looks like I will be spending more time there in the future.

9. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    I gotta ask, how many roosters do you have that were able to 'father' that many eggs? 1800 eggs! (roughly)

10. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    How did you end up with so many chickens?? WOW!!! I am speechless. I would love to see pictures!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by