update on 142 nest (now 212)

panner123

Songster
13 Years
Jan 15, 2007
Garden Valley, ca
We now have found 212 of our 225 hens setting on nest of 6 to 8 eggs each. All the nest are flagged so we can locate them to check on them. Still missing 13 hens. We hope to find them tomorrow. Each hen normally hatches 8 chicks, so if all 225 heans are normal that means a BIIGGG BAR-B-O once all the roos start crow. Yes if half are hens, that means i will have about 900 roos in about three weeks. HELPPP! I am glad I live close to a livestock auction. See what happens when your grand daughter wants A (1) ONE) chicken. I am going to have to come out of retirement to feed them.

roflmao!!!
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Where are you? I'm kind of handy around a grill

:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG!!!! OMG!!! That is unbelievable!!! Are they just scattered throughout a meadow or what? Don't you have any predator problems? Lastly, GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Ellen

Quote:
I am between Auburn & Colfax Ca. CoyoteMagic, how are you at puckling?

All my hens have been trying to brood since early March, I try to let each hen have a turn. The others I put plastic Easter eggs under & collect the eggs. Yep, they are all over the hillside & down the cayon. As for predators I have an electric fence around that five acres to keep the bear,coon fox & the like out. But, the mountain lion & bobcat can clear the fence. I also have motion dectors aroung the property with lights on some, radios & whislers on some. I still have to worry about hawks, owl & eagles. I just got back from the chicken aution in Roseville, I sold some roos, averaged $15 each and I sold a few 6 week old ones for $5 each. Looks like I will be spending more time there in the future.

Back
Top Bottom