Update on coop after 10 months

darncat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 8, 2011
About 10 months ago I came to BYC and looked for help on questions on chicken coop construction and raising hens. I can never thank you all enough for helping me and wanted to share with you the latest pic of the coop at Christmas. Silly me decided to decorate the coop rather than the house.
big_smile.png
Since I am limited to the urban style chicken raising since I live on a 1/2 acre lot on a lake, I can not allow the gals to run freely in the yard. This in turn has made me had to re think what exactly to do in adverse weather conditions for the protection of my gals.

As in the initial construction I had the ground dug out and laid cage wire and rolled and attached to the treated lumber and also using a sand bed which I am glad I did. That has worked out great! Thanking you all here for the suggestion of the sand bed !

Recently I brought the contractor back out to extend the electric from the coop into the pen for an overhead light and also for an outlet for a water heater. That too has worked out great this winter.

Also had lexan panels custom fitted for the coop for every spot there is open cage wire. All but 4 are held on by "buttons" for an easy on easy off application. On the pen the top 4 panels are hinged so I can leave open for air, and have decided to leave them attached to the coop till the spring...they are held on by a few screws each. I do understand the need for fresh air for the gals but wanted to make sure that I can secure the coop/pen in extreme weather like hurricanes and ice storms etc. Since it is lexan ...I will admit it is a tad expensive but in the long run it will save money since it is durable not like clear vinyl.

Not all the lexan panels are on in the pics since the weather was decent...but you can see a few. Really have enjoyed having the gals and thanking you all for helping me!

82012_ccoop.jpg

82012_ccoop4.jpg

Thanks for the kind posts! Next up is to decorate inside the coop as I have quite a selection of chicken fabric for curtains. I have been on a relentless mission to find an outdoor USA made thermometer to attach in the pen. Looks like I will have to look on ebay for an old one for i can not find a new one made in the USA.
hmm.png

At Lake Gaston on the North Carolina side. Lake Gaston is in both VA and NC. Crazy weather we get here.

Back
Top Bottom