update on Lucky...

lizzard14

Chirping
9 Years
Apr 1, 2011
I have 2 guinea eggs that have pipped under a momma chicken hen, if all goes as planned little Lucky will get put under her tonight. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that she accepts him. On a sad note, If she does I'm sure gonna miss the little guy. But how could you not miss this little fella....

Well, we had 3 guineas hatch so far under a chicken. Lucky is going to go be with his new momma in about another hour or so. I sure hope she takes him in. We have 7 more eggs under her,so maybe they will hatch also.

well we put Lucky out last night, she didnt mess with him at all, but when we shined the flashlight to check on him he was back behind her in the nest the box and then he ran as fast as his little feet and legs would carry him out of there. We tried a couple of times and he just kept running in and out. Do you think we should have just put him in there and waited until this morning to check on him? I think he ran because he could see with the flashlight shining down there. Would he've stayed if we would have left it dark? I was just worried about him getting to cold if he got out away from the momma. Oh well, no biggie. He will just have to stay in the house until he gets his feathers. lol

I don't have an answer about how long it would take for a hen to accept a keet, but if that had been me in your shoes, I would have done the exact same thing. I would err on the side of caution and keeping little Lucky warm and safe. Maybe I'm wrong.....

So, I took Lucky back out this morning and he isnt taking to Momma Hen. She was okay with him until he pecked at her eyeball and now she is pecking at him. I lefter him out there with them for about 2 hours and he was scared of the other little guys so i'm going to try another approach. PeepsCa, i'm going to take your advice, I pulled the 3 keets and put them in with Lucky for just a little while. Momma is still on 8 eggs, so it shouldn't matter just a whole lot. I'm going to try and let Lucky and the 3 keets bond then offer them all back to Momma as a whole. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom