Update on my sick hen - hard abdomen?

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
My ISA Brown has been sick for a while now, couldn’t find what but now i am sure this is part of the reason. She has a really hard bottom/abdomen, right under her tail, it’s pink, not so hugely swollen but really really solid. Found it when i was washing her butt (she hasn’t laid since molt season, had 2 prolapses this year.) She is eating her pellets when it is mashed, and not drinking water causing her comb to droop and is turning more purple. Getting a syringe today to try force drinking. Don’t have any photos of her bottom, but her relaxing in her bath. This is her poop today. Going to try to get a photo of her bottom.
Followed lovely people’s advice, de wormed, unfortunately her calcium citrate and D3 is liquid form and she hasn’t been drinking as much as i’d like her to be drinking, so i am going to try to force drinking today.

She isn’t looking good today.
What are the possible causes and diagnosis of a hard bottom?

Update: she is sleeping standing up like in the photos at night now. Just yesterday and earlier days she would’ve been laying down.

Attachments

• 0C6A0F17-85FB-4C79-A0A8-8D6E8B590586.jpeg
    0C6A0F17-85FB-4C79-A0A8-8D6E8B590586.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 1E021063-943F-472A-B75D-F7227C9B52F9.jpeg
    1E021063-943F-472A-B75D-F7227C9B52F9.jpeg
    445.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BC4B94F2-8EFA-4D3D-971C-56FE983D4EAB.jpeg
    BC4B94F2-8EFA-4D3D-971C-56FE983D4EAB.jpeg
    663.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 733EBE68-47FF-4EE7-B55C-C3815593C3E8.jpeg
    733EBE68-47FF-4EE7-B55C-C3815593C3E8.jpeg
    724.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 35DA167B-1BFA-4535-95A2-E4F457C8B1C0.jpeg
    35DA167B-1BFA-4535-95A2-E4F457C8B1C0.jpeg
    693 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
It sounds to me like she's egg bound. Put some epsom salt in her bath water and let her soak in that for about 20 minutes to relax. After you take her out, dry her off and massage very gently (so you don't break the egg) from the front to back to help work the egg down. Do that for about 10 minutes. Apply a little oil or vaseline to her vent. Put her in a dark, quiet crate with a little food and water so she can try to lay the egg. Those steps may need to be repeated 3-4 times before she lays the egg.

It sounds to me like she's egg bound. Put some epsom salt in her bath water and let her soak in that for about 20 minutes to relax. After you take her out, dry her off and massage very gently (so you don't break the egg) from the front to back to help work the egg down. Do that for about 10 minutes. Apply a little oil or vaseline to her vent. Put her in a dark, quiet crate with a little food and water so she can try to lay the egg. Those steps may need to be repeated 3-4 times before she lays the egg.
I’m going to try epsom baths with her, get a closer look at her bottom, but are egg bounds these long lasting? i worry that it may be some organ issue or condition causing an issue with something inside her, it’s just so hard figuring out what when all the symptoms are the same :hit

How long has she been having these issues? I believe that some egg bound hens can last for a little while. All the signs point to her being egg bound, but I could be wrong. Put on a latex glove and gently feel around in her vent for an egg. If you can't feel one, then she's more than likely not. If she's been having problems and now you just feel a hard abdomen it could be a result of the issues she's been dealing with.

How long has she been having these issues? I believe that some egg bound hens can last for a little while. All the signs point to her being egg bound, but I could be wrong. Put on a latex glove and gently feel around in her vent for an egg. If you can't feel one, then she's more than likely not. If she's been having problems and now you just feel a hard abdomen it could be a result of the issues she's been dealing with.
Well she had a prolapse really early in the year, was resolved easily. Molting season was in July, and she hasn’t laid since but showed no issues. I initially ruled it off as she finished laying as an ISA Brown breed. Last month i found she had a second prolapse, it was more severe but was resolved. During her prolapse she acted totally fine, which worried me because i realised her prolapse has been out for a while before i noticed. Then a week later she started becoming more lethargic and excreting bad poops suddenly. Not sure how long ago the hardness in her abdomen started, but clearly it’s been affecting her for the past two weeks. I assume it got worse today as she’s sleeping standing up? she usually doesn’t.
I will try examine her closer tomorrow

Have 5 y/o hen w/same issues of hard abdomen. Poop was stuck to bottom, washed it off in warm bath. Gave dose of Nutridrench. Kept inside overnite to dry, due to being too chilly to put out wet.
Eating & drinking normally. Half front of comb light colored.
Foraging w/others, but stays behind everyone. Keeps laying down, while foraging. Haven’t had any eggs from my 3 hens, since late July ‘23.
When one checks vent, how far does one have to ‘invade’ the vent to see if eggbound? Are there 2 exits from vent? One for eggs & other for bodily fluids? What’s Epsom salt to warm water ratio?

Back
Top Bottom