Update on New baby from under...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tropicalchicken, Jul 19, 2008.

1. tropicalchicken

tropicalchicken Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2008
    Washington
    I have two broody hens that just kept cycling through broodiness, so I purchased some fertile eggs for them and put them underneath the girls, expecting nothing, but hoping we might get something. Today is day eighteen and one of the hens was out for her early morning feed and poo, so my husband went down to check on the eggs, and she comes running and screaming and hops back in her spot, with a black little baby hiding behind her, peeking at my husband.

Of course we have not seen hide nor hair of the cutie since then as momma is pretty tightly wrapped around everything and not moving. I hope they are ok, but even if it is just the one I am tickled pink. The last guys I ordered in were day olds and I just love them to death and have hand raised them since we got them, this time I decided to see what nature could do.

What a good mommy those two girls are, I hope the other one gets at least one baby for all her efforts as well.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Wonderful! Happy, good news [​IMG] ! And the description of mama's protection was ver' cute [​IMG]

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I just wanted to say that that is great!!!! This was a great post.

4. tropicalchicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Washington
    They are just too funny to watch. They just sit there like a stone. No blinks, no movement. You can just see them thinking, go away, leave me alone.

I can't believe it, day eighteen and we already have one. It has to be a silkie. Hmm, that can't be as the silkies were supposed to be white. I don't care, I just can't wait to see whatever it is.

She still has eggs left under her so I hope she at least holds out for another day or two. Monday was supposed to be day 21.

5. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Cute story. Especially the hen running and screaming, [​IMG]. Its always nice to her mama hen doing her job. Keep us posted on further hatches.

6. kellim

kellim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2008
    SC, GA Border
    Congratulations! I myself have 2 broody hens and I cannot wait to see them with their babies!

7. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    What a great story. I am hoping at least one of my hens goes broody soon. I love incubating but I want to watch a momma hen at work also.

8. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Pictres?!?!??!

9. tropicalchicken

Jun 24, 2008
    Washington
    Let's see if this will work. Still just one for now. So exciting!!! Of course it has been right at 90 degrees for weeks, but now it is pouring.

[​IMG]

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Babies peeking out from momma's wing is the one of the sweetest things to see. Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by