update on new hatch novice

dddCT

Songster
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Durham, CT
We had one egg cracked today and when I went to remove it, it sorta exploded. What a mess. Since we had the incubator open we candled the others even though its only day 4 or 5. I couldn't tell if what I saw was a blob of infection like some of the photos I've seen or a little bugger in there. Only two did I see spidering vein. The others just looked like dark shadows that floated along.

Any ideas what I'm seeing?

ok, when I candled at day 5, not much going on. Candle again at day 7, at day 7 I could see a dark blob that moved on it's own
(very cool). i think you can't tell much before day s 7-10. hope that helps (and sorry about your exploding egg!)

Day 7 or 10 would be the best days to candle again...Thats when the embryo and veining are very clear...any questionable ones then should be marked and discarded at day 14 if no development is happening...

Sorry about the exploding egg those are something one never forgets......
sickbyc.gif

I was suprised how much I could already see at day three of my coturnix quail eggs incubation. But that was only in the lighter shelled eggs, I could see a lil blob (chick) and spider veining it was really exciting to see and know I can candle that early atleast on lighter eggs and see.
smile.png
The darker eggs I just saw big dark blobs so they are the questionable ones and probably will be until the day they hatch or...err...i hope not...explode! LOL!

Sorry about your unpleasant experience, I had an egg explode in my face/hair when I was younger. It was an egg my broodie hen layed on....inside the egg was a fully formed chick that died before it pipped...and had rotted and BLEW UP ON ME!L OL! I was soo grossed out, im suprised i didnt vomit. lol!

Niki

sorry monarc yick. Thanks for the tips. My husband is the impatient one. Seems like he wants to candle every day to check. I'll wait and candle again at the 8-9 day if I can hold him out that long. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom