Update on new quail!!

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Well today I had no birds die! Yesterday I had to separate a hen by herself because she pecked one young male to death, and almost another one... BUT HE LIVED. I thought for sure he was a gonner. When I picked him up he would just go limp in my hand...But he made it through last night and was acting like a quail today. Needless to say that hen is staying by herself.

I got all the birds on duramycin mixed into their water, with some electrolites mixed in as well. They seem to be acting much better after 24 hours so far. My bobwhites I havent had any problems with at all, and after fixing up the coturnix with meds they are acting much happier like my bobwhites do singing and such.

I improved the poop trays today to make the cages cleaner, and got some hay and put it in their cages. The hay gives them something softer to walk on instead of just bare wire cloth, and they instantly went to digging in it and making theirselves little spots to lay in. They looked much happier.

I threw in some dried meal worms in all the cages to gie them a different kind of snack... It took them a bit, but they caught on that it was food pretty quick. I havent found anywhere to buy live ones... I know they put fat on the birds, but these birds are lean. They have NO fat. So I'm not too worried. They dont get them everyday anyways.

I still havent been able to tell about any feathers starting to grow back. As they are still dang near half plucked out from overcrowding and fighting from where I got them. Hopefully getting them healthier with the meds will boost their systems some where I can start to see a difference. I am keeping a red heat lamp on 24/7 right now out side their cages pointed on them to give a little heat since they dont have much feathers and there is a lot of bare skin on them...

They are eating well, drinking well, no more fighting, males are crowing here and there, females are constantly making little noises... I am only giving them 9 hours on light a day right now to keep them a little less active and to not force them into any laying quite yet. We decided to boost up the health and get them going in the right direction and everything before we start to make them lay.

No more blood spots, or blood on their feet from wire... They all seem really calm and were all nesting up as I got through cleaning and fixing them up with feed and water. They seemed like they were ready for some dark time and sleepy as they dug out their own little nest in the hay.

Long winded I know, but so far so good today, things are looking up! Much better than the last few days. I'm glad they are settling in now. Hopefully they keep getting better and happier!

As far as the 5 eggs I set in the bator a few days ago, I candled them real quick just a while ago and have some dark spots forming inside, they looked like they should right there at the beguinning of development. I did notice that I wasnt seeing much, or any air sac in the top of the shell right now. Is that normal? Does the air sac come a little later in the stage anyways? I'm on day 2 of incubation.

Last edited:
Congrats!!!
clap.gif

It is going to take a while for these birds to healthy back up. Won't happen over night. Feathers take about 6 weeks to regrow, so don't worry too much about that. Pretty soon you won't have even noticed that they have all regrown. :)

The thinness of the birds could be because they had too much competition at the feed bowl and didn't get enough to eat. They may also have worms as well. But I know you will be on top of this situation in the future.
wink.png

I think you are doing a fine job and your birds will recover well. Keep them comfortable, give them as much space as you can afford, offer up some treats to break up boredom and also healthy them up with antioxidants, like veggies and fruits.

Don't rush them with the healing and enjoy them! Keep us posted!

Quarter up apples, peaches, pears, even dried fruit they will love to eat. Raisins, cranberries....stuff like this. Nuts are good antioxidants. As for veggies....peas in the pod are to die for, shredded cabbage, all sorts of greens, lettuces, corn from the cob, broccoli heads, etc...Experiment with different foods. And give them time to get used to new foods. Birds are always a bit timid around new food, but once they taste them, they go gaga over them. :)

Oh....and berries! Especially red raspberries! To die for! Blueberries too, but the poop will turn blue. LOL But they will love these as well. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom