Update on our Two Ducks: One Nest

LivinOnLove

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 16, 2013
Wisconsin
Thought I'd update on our ducks here, as no one seemed to have our situation with two ducks sitting on the same nest. We had two rouens sitting together and switching spots. At one point they did separate nests, but that only lasted a few days. By hatch day, they were back sharing. And in the two days on hatching, they switched spots more than once. They are co-parenting, and the duckling do not seem to have A specific mother. They are just one big bunch (there were 22 eggs before I came here to see what to do, and started taking any new ones. i won't wait that long again...) If any of the babies didn't quite follow then both mamas would get quite upset. One time, one mama was 'stuck' in the house (intimidated by the turkey standing in front of the door) and the others were leaving the pen for a walk. The mama with the ducklings stopped and called the other one, went back and got her before leaving. So they are definitely co-parenting. And of course, I have pictures ;)

They aren't much ducklings any more! They were born first week of June; hatched I guess ;)
I included the last picture, because we had 3 that have crests. One just a puff that you can hardly see on the picture. The yellow one on the top of the picture just below the top one. I'm pretty sure that will be a drake as his head is darker than his body with a distinct line (or doesn't that make a difference) That one has a small crest on the side of his head that looks like an ear- quite strange looking. The other on is obvious on the right top of the picture. That one has had a crest as large as it's head since it hatched. It seems to act normal, but I was reading here that it is not such a great thing as the skull is missing where the crest is. I don't know what we'll do with that one. Definitely unique. Thanks for reading!

(Oh, and we had two other of our duck co-sitting a nest of only 4 eggs. Co-sitting seems to be there thing here?)

I found your page because I have the same situation -- big nest of eggs -- 2 mama duck sitting on them -- so far only one baby duck hatch I noticed this morning. I have no idea to which mother it belongs? And the baby is sitting in the nest with them but at some point it is going to need to eat and drink -- how long?

They live off the yolk sac they absorbed for a couple of days. just put feed and a safe waterer close by and hopefully one of the ducks will show the duckling what to do.
:welcome

Back
Top Bottom