UPDATE ON PERDUE

tysonandperdue

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
New Jersey
I went to an avian vet this morning. He felt inside her oviduct and said he felt small masses. He said they could be eggs, tumors or both. He could not expel them but tried his best. He said he needs to do an exploratory operation to to take the masses out to try to save her. So far I have paid $300 in vet bills. I was calculating an operation may cost in the order of perhaps $500 which I could have afforded but the cost could be upwards of $1200 (could be a couple hundred less)! I just don't know what to do. She is my pet and although I don't have this type of money on hand I don't want her to die either.

Did anybody ever have internal problems like this (tumors)? Did you have your chicken operated on? Did they survive the operation?

Any answers or suggestions at all would be so appreciated. I am so upset and depressed by the thought of all of this. I just don't know what to do.

Please note: I know people were looking for updates on Perdue and I am sorry for not posting in the past two weeks but my computer crashed and I had to have it sent out to repaired. I just got it back yesterday.

Poor baby!!! I hope she gets better soon.
fl.gif
I've never been in that situation but want you to know that I will be thinking of you and your birdie... Good luck to you! :aww

Unfortunately the answer to what you should do can only be your decision to make. We can try to help with information when we have it and be there for support and of course as a sounding board.

If she is an internal layer there is a EZ BYC member who had a hysterectomy done on one of her birds. They removed a massive amount of egg material from the bird's abdomen. So the surgery can be done successfully and at the same time remove the cause of her misery.

What I'm not sure about is if they are tumor type masses how surgery would benefit her. My feeling on that would be if he did remove them they will simply return again and you would be back to where you started.

But without the exploratory surgery and high cost you can't be certain of what direction to take. You need to follow what is right for you and her. If you can afford it and are comfortable with the surgery then that's the choice you should make. If its beyond what you can comfortably afford there is no one that will fault you for your decision. We've all been in the situation and I've found people respect the ability to know when to say enough is enough. To allow the animal to go with some modicum of peace.

Perdue means the world to me. I have decided to have the exploratory surgery done. I would never forgive myself if I didn't do everything in my power to save her.

If she does have tumors, I'm hoping when he cuts them out they never return. If they did return, I would not do this again. Then again, perhaps they are eggs that got stuck. We'll soon find out.

For right now, I am just hoping she pulls through this surgery and lives many more years. Please keep her in your prayers. I'll let everyone know the outcome.

Her surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday.

Thank you everyone for your kindness.

I will be thinking about you two. And of course I'll be hoping he finds she's an internal layer and can fix her problem so she can have a long and healthy life. Good luck to you both.

Back
Top Bottom