Update on sick chicks: what else can I do ?

I wonder how many days they were at Rural King? The damage may have been done there. Have you ever known anyone who works there? They'll tell you that they have alot of chick death due to metal troughs with red heat lamps.
It’s just starting to seem like there are a handful without a will to live and that the only way some of them will eat/ drink is if I syringe feed them water and a thin food paste. Very listless , lethargic .. pasty butt in the not as well off ones. Watery poos. It’s not great . I will add tho… I’m cleaning their pasty butt gently with warm damp towel/ water and drying them using a hairdryer on low about 8 inches away from their bums .

Also this is peanut a chick that is NOT catching up . I keep expecting to find her dead …but she hasn’t yet

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 14
Do you have any Nutri Drench or Save a chick? Also, I know that everything you read says to start out at incredibly high temps but also do a forum search on excessive brooder temps and you'll find many, many chicken keepers that don't believe high temps are good. Thermometers can be wrong. You picture however looks like they're in a good temp. so just saying......

It’s just starting to seem like there are a handful without a will to live and that the only way some of them will eat/ drink is if I syringe feed them water and a thin food paste. Very listless , lethargic .. pasty butt in the not as well off ones. Watery poos. It’s not great . I will add tho… I’m cleaning their pasty butt gently with warm damp towel/ water and drying them using a hairdryer on low about 8 inches away from their bums .
Yea you shouldn't have to be constantly dealing with pasty butt. It's about Stress or temp to high. I feel like Rural King stressed them out. :(

I’ll make sure the bulb doesn’t have teflon that looks awful . I’ll go ahead and move the light away slightly. (Btw that chick I was holding died just now ) I had to run and bury her :( . We are grabbing nutridench tonight, but I was using hydro-hen 3 in 1 and they are also getting probiotic additive as well tonight.

Coccidiosis, high temp, Teflon, Stress.... These are the chick death causes that I can think of. I really hope others jump on here with other ideas. This has to suck for you! But don't give up, it's clear you're doing your best.

Back
Top Bottom