Update on single chicken integration.

Ettore.fin

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2018
London
so a few weeks ago I rescued a single chicken and began the long task of integrating it. Now previously I was linked an article of someone who was successful at it and I followed her example. So I put the new chicken in a separate cage inside the coop, so that they could see each other and not touch. I did this for a week. Then one night I put her in the coop. the following morning there was a decent amount of pecking but no marks were left (before I tried this tactic she had a hole in her neck) this time just some feathers pulled. But were more tolerant of her. One of the first nights she didn't go inside the coop to roost and stayed outside so I put her in. The following day she went in with them. Then three days later she even laid an egg which she hasn't done for more than a month. (each day I take her out and make sure shes fed and has drunk.) She still gets bullied but avoids it by staying in the coop itself on being up on the roost the setup has.
After you've read this would you guys say I'm well on the way to getting her integrated or not?

I would say she is struggling, since she is staying inside the coop and up on the roost. But if they're not attempting to murder her several times a day, there is progress.

Perhaps only time can tell you this? She may be on the bottom of the pecking order for a long while yet, and this can be hard on her. I would try to make sure she has enough food and water to give her a fair shot at moving up the pecking order. I have seen that happen-- a bullied bird suddenly moving up a couple steps on the ladder.

Back
Top Bottom