Update on Sunny the Duck.

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
Well, it was an on-going battle for Sunny for almost 7 months. She had an infection of some sort, and would eat one week, and the next she wouldn't eat or budge for days. Other times she would seem to choke, and fluid would start to run out of her nostrils. This was very painful for me to watch, and I tried to leave her alone since she didn't want anything to do with people during these times, but at the same time I payed as much attention to her as I could. Constantly giving her steam baths, offering her plenty of treats, etc. Slowly, I saw her waisting away. She cycled between eating and near death around 8 times, and on her 8th she just got worse. She would seem to choke often, and she didn't eat for 5 days straight. And to make matters worse, she some how managed to hurt her foot and could no longer walk without a serious limp. So even though I was torn, me and my parents decided to take her to a vet that would euthanize her. We called around 5 vets, none would take a duck in, even to euthanize. But finally we found a small vet that we never heard of, this one would actually take birds. So I reluctently got Sunny ready, though teary eyed, and drove with my dad 40 minutes to the vet. We got there, sat in the lobby, and I supposively said my final good byes as Sunny tugged at my hand. 10 minutes later, a lady walked out and talked to my dad and I about a docter who specializes in birds, turns out he would be there for 2 weeks. They asked if he could take a look at Sunny, for ane extra cost, and of course we said yes. And another hour later, the man walked out. He said Sunny still had a fighting chance, and she was no weak duck, even though she was very sick. And he finally gave us an antibiotic. Funny, I was searching for months for a vet, or a cheap antibiotic, and when we were just about to give up this happens! So we drove home with Sunny, I could her her cackling right next to me. I wasn't sure this would work, but I followed the directions and had to give Sunny the oral doses 2 times a day, for 14 days. Day after day I gave Sunny her meds, the doctor said it would only be a few days before I saw improvement, but on the tenth day I saw none. The 11th day, nothing. The 12th, nothing. 14th? Still nothing. I was losing hope. But on the 15th day, a few minutes before I attempted to feed Sunny, I heard a loud "QUACK!". Huh? I haven't heard that noise for a month. "QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACCCK!" Sure enough, it was Sunny. I went outside, and she once again could speak. From there on, things improved. She ate more and more everyday, and slowly, her breathing and behavior returned to how it was 7 months ago. And to this day. She IS better. She eats like no tomorrow, she's noisy, she hates my dog, and I can give her hugs again. And she actually tried to mate with me again, something she hasn't done since spring. At times she's so happy she actually waddles around the yard, doing her happy quack over and over. The battle is FINALLY over!

Recent pic!
Ants023.jpg

love.gif
I just love
hit.gif
a happy ending!! What a sweet duck!!! See how things work out . . .you can call it God, Karma, fate, whatever ole' thing you want . . .but you weren't suppose to find a doctor until the other doctor was going to be there. You were so lucky!!!!

clap.gif
I LOOOOVE happy endings! Did the vet solve the mystery of what the illness was? A chronic infection of some kind? Fungal? ?? would really like to know what the Dx (diagnosis) was. Anyway, congratulations on Sunny's recovery, and I'm sure your heart must be filled with joy. I'm so glad you have Sunny healthy and happy once again.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom