Update on the rescue meaties

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gritsar, Jul 2, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Meaties is the collective pet name I've given my 19 rescue broilers.

All the babies are still doing fine in the brooder with the layer chicks. One has started jumping up on the edge of the brooder whenever I go out there because she (goodness I hope she is a SHE) likes to be picked up and cuddled. With the exception of two, none of the meaties are growing at the extraordinary rate I expected. They look like normal chicks, growing up. They don't eat non-stop. They like to run around the porch alot and since they are on a natural light schedule, they aren't eating 24/7.

I thought I was going to have to ask DH to cull one of the meaties yesterday. He (now about 90% certain he's a HE) is three times as big as the other meaties. He has these huge legs, but he doesn't use them. He just sits in front of the feeder all day. Yesterday was extremely humid and he was obviously having a hard time of it. Panting, body spread out, just looked miserable.

When I pointed him out to DH he said he felt that it wasn't time. We installed a fan for the brooder instead. I then took this not-so-little guy out to the chicken yard for awhile. It's shady out there. I put wild strawberries just out of his reach and made him realize that he has legs for a reason. He spent a good hour walking around, exploring the world.

Looks like he gets at least a few more good days. Wish it could be longer. [​IMG]

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that however much you prolong their life, you are doing them a great service. Even one day of getting to explore the world, or eat strawberries, or have a fan installed just for them, is a gift. Thank you.

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Mine also did not eat 24/7 and had food in from of them all the time. However, once they got close to being the age to butcher, they drank enormous amounts, and had a hard time even standing you could just tell. I started feeling bad for them because standing and even moving was difficult, eventually, we had to cull them, but thats what they were for. They had a good life while they were here, short, but good.

4. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I agree, even a few weeks of sunshine and good food and loving care are wonderful for them. I love what you are doing for your Meaties, and God bless you for it.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Thanks. I am really enjoying these chicks. The meaties are very outgoing and love to be cuddled.
    We'll hopefully have them out free ranging by the end of next week. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Thank you for being so kind to the meaties, I am glad to hear they are doing good. Bless you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by