update p3- Wilbur is surviving - but very lethargic

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
I lost all but 2 chickens to a fox and/or raccoon(s). I'm devastated, but need to help the 2 that are 'alive'.

I have added electrolytes to their water... and brought a mash of oatmeal, etc.

I found the rooster wandering yesterday and coaxed him into the pen. He did peck some food a little. He walked into the coop last evening, but has not come out this morning. Just sitting there.

I found the hen in the woods and carried her back into the pen. Her head is dropping almost on the ground. Yesterday and this morning she drank some water out of my cupped hand and I tried to give her a little mash, but no response.

I want to help them in the best way, but not annoy them. If they are in shock should I leave them?

Maybe midday I'll move the roo? He does not like to be handled.

Is it normal for a bird to have their head hanging down... almost to the ground???

Suggestions please. Oh, they are in a very safe place and the temp is good.

thanks

Last edited:
You have done the right thing... Let them rest and recover and recover for a day and then offer a small bowl of live culture yogurt and get some (farmed) mealworms (bait store or pet store) and top off the feed and yogurt with those >>> off it close to them so they can see them wriggling and that might perk them up a bit
big_smile.png

You're doing fine. They might do better kept together, depending on how they are around each other, of course. I don't think the roo will mind being handled too much til he feels better.

Quote:
Not silly, human. Sorry! Many of us have been through the same thing, and feel for you.

Is it normal for a hen in shock to hang her head down? Or do you think that her neck could be badly hurt from being tossed around? I'm really concerned cause she is trying to drink, but it all seems to fall back out of her.

This is so bad. They are both next to dead... very somber. Make me want to cry every time I try and help them.

ps. I got the mealy worms and will try them in the morning.

McGoo wrote: Is it normal for a hen in shock to hang her head down? Or do you think that her neck could be badly hurt from being tossed around? I'm really concerned cause she is trying to drink, but it all seems to fall back out of her.

Place the hen on your lap. Place a forefinger under her chin just behind the base of the beak, lifting the head so that the beak is in the `normal' position. Have someone else drip sugar water over the tip of her beak. If this is only muscle injury to the neck you should see her swallow. If so, keep the drops coming until she quits drinking.

A fox attacked Black Spanish tom that suffered very severe torticollis (was standing, but crown of head was dragging on the ground with beak pointed out past his left wing) made it, but only by continually moving head and neck into a `normal' position and dripping fluids over the tip of his beak with a (sigh) turkey baster.

Hang in there!​

Place the hen on your lap. Place a forefinger under her chin just behind the base of the beak, lifting the head so that the beak is in the `normal' position. Have someone else drip sugar water over the tip of her beak. If this is only muscle injury to the neck you should see her swallow. If so, keep the drops coming until she quits drinking.

Ivan3,
I'll give this a shot tomorrow morning since I've put her in the coop for the night. If she makes it by morning I'll ask my friend to help me out. I've been trying to get her and the roo to drink. She attempts drinking, he does not.

Terrible scene. I really am at a loss. They liven up the yard and I didn't realize it until they're gone.
hit.gif

McGoo Wrote: They liven up the yard and I didn't realize it until they're gone.

I hear you. This is why I post in Pred/Pest quite a bit.

Hoping for good things for you in the morning.

Take care,

John​

oh geez this was an awful thing - sorry. i dont have any additional first aid but just wanted to let you know that we are all pulling for you and your flock. so glad you found the ones that you did. i'm sure they were very very happy to see you.

Back
Top Bottom