UPDATE PAGE 3 : EMERGENCY : Hen with possible heat stroke

We took ours down into the cellar when it happened here, in additon to other things mentioned, because it was so much cooler there.

Good luck
fl.gif

I had to take a new momma cat to the hospital for extremely high temps and they just wet her and put a fan on her. They said ice would actually trigger her body to warm up??? Not sure but they just used water and fans.

Ok, I will take away the ice.

She is sleepy and lethargic. But she is a little bit better than when I first brought her in from outside.

If she is wrapped in a towel, she also may just be comfortable. When my girls are happy and comfortable, they will act like they don't have a bone in their body. If, after a while, she doesn't get up, don't panic. You may just have a very happy chicken.
I hope she gets better; if she's eating and drinking, then you should be OK.

She seems to be improving. She has held her head up for a few seconds and her neck does feel so floppy. Her feet are still very floppy.

She is just lying on a towel, not wrapped in it. I took the damp towel away and gave her a dry one. Fan is on. Ice is gone.

Thank you all so much for your quick replies. The rest of my flock seems to be fine. We have a mister around the run, but may need to get a cooler or fan of some type for out there. It's only going to get hotter.

It went over 107 here today. *Last July it hit 117 a couple days in a row*

I finally got the AC in the coop going. I had skacres and his son from Marana here today and took them into my coop so they could feel the difference. They watched an Ameraucana lay an egg and took it with 29 others south to incubate. I need to caulk and insulate a bit more in my coop. I have a broody that's been sitting on golf balls for more than a week. If Laree has any extra Icelandic chicks, we'll be putting some under her to get her off of the nest.

I haven't checked on the marans or the icelandics for over an hour. They don't have AC right now, but I'll be building another coop for them during the summer. It's exactly 105 out there right now so the temp is on it's way down. It hit 67 here this morning so it cools down.

All of that said,

I would keep her on a damp COOL towel and Ice or a cool pack under the towel with the fan on her and mist her with cool water every now an then. It is fine until she starts to revive. Gatorade would be good for her, then if she starts to eat, boiled egg.

The last one I lost to the heat, wouldn't move her legs either... but one of the younger roos was trying to take advantage of her in her condition and that didn't help.

I've lost my fair share to heat stroke here. Dark hens seem to go faster than lighter colored ones. I've only lost one Ameraucana, 3 RIRs, a cochin-leghorn mix and a few polish to the heat

Good luck.

Last edited:
As mentioned above, get electroltyes into her. In a pinch you can use Pedialtye or Gatorade. See if she'll consider cold watermelon with either of these things spritzed onto the fruit.....you can also put the stuff in water since she was doing some drinking....
Hoping she'll be alright
fl.gif
Too bloody hot - so sorry for the temps some of you are having....
JJ

Mahonri, I didn't realize it got that hot. We are north Phoenix, in Desert Hills and we usually a couple degrees cooler. Tell me about what you've done for air conditioning in your coop.

She is a cage now. Food and water available, but I am still assisting her with the water until she gets on her feet. She is still lethargic and sleepy acting, but seems better. Not so floppy and not hot to the touch.

78433_dsc00369.jpg

Last edited:
Awwwww...that poor dear. I hope she feels better soon.

Not sure what your set up is but the usual aids are:

Fans, fans, fans (some add AC - I have both, a huge relief when I'm at work and the weather is despicably hot and humid - I worry so much less)
Cold water available at all times (blocks of ice will help keep water cold)
Cold fruit treats (e.g. freeze slices of watermelon and then put them out for the birds)
Ample shade
Some folks add a mister....my birds seem to hate the water......
Some folks keep big frozen bottles of water around the coop so the birds can sit near them if they choose
Electroltyes when its stinkin hot and there is panting going on

JJ

Back
Top Bottom