(Update:passed away) Young Silkie chicken barely responding, can’t stand up

Jul 31, 2020
So she’s about 14 weeks and we got her only a few weeks ago and she’s been fine but suddenly this morning she was just sitting and didn’t respond when I walked in and when I picked her up she wasn’t able to stand up. Her eyes were closed and she barely responded to me touching her feet. She’s breathing ok and now she’s opened her eyes a few times when I touched her feet. I don’t know what to do. It doesn’t look like she’s had bad poos but she is a little dirty but I think that’s from lying down. I’ve checked her vent and it looks fine too It doesn’t feel like she’s eaten much today. It seems like one leg isn’t as strong as the other. Her coop mate is fine and clucking for her. My family is away so I can’t take her to a vet. Please anything would be helpful

Last edited:
She looked like she was getting better then a ton of orange fluid poured out of her mouth and nose and she stopped breathing. She passed away in my arms.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so hard when they get sick and can't tell us what's wrong. :hugs Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can give you advice about what it might have been.

I’m so sorry she passed. It might be a good idea to have her body sent off to see what happened.
It’s been a few months so it’s been far too long for that. We believe she had some sort of obstruction. Definitely wasn’t any bug as her sister is still with us and healthy. We ended up getting another silkie for her so they were a pair and there just happened to be one left from her brooding group. They bonded again instantly and have been inseparable ever since. Here’s a picture of them with their little buddies too 😋

Attachments

• 350DF05F-3D48-49A7-A91E-4AB4D2D92C10.jpeg
    350DF05F-3D48-49A7-A91E-4AB4D2D92C10.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom