Update (pg 11): Daisy's crop - successful surgery and now eating!

Thankyou for all your good wishes everyone.
hugs.gif
It's been such a stressful time, and if I'm honest, I'm worried about going on holiday and leaving her with people she doesn't know. I do hope they'll be able to keep a special eye on her and take her straight to the vet if she has any problems.

She's still got awful runny poo, so she's not out of the woods yet, but as far as I could tell her crop was empty this morning. Though, with all the stitches and lumpy scarring and the fact I didn't let her eat much yesterday, it was very hard to tell if it had all gone through or not. I didn't want to prod around too much as the wound must be painful.

Also, she's still dribbling water out of her beak a lot after drinking - is this a worry? I'm paranoid I'm going to have to cancel this holiday and stay home with her!

Good plan Andrea - I'm due to be speaking with him to give a progress update later today, so I will ask about it then. Meanwhile, my Mum has kindly offered to look after Daisy while we are on holiday - hurray!!!!!!

The other girls and chicks can still go to the chicken boarding place, but she'll get special attention at her Grandma's house!
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
Well, the vet and I kept missing each other yesterday, so I still don't have a professional answer. In any case, Daisy had stopped drinking/eating and was miserable in the downstairs toilet, so I let her out on range. She immediately started drinking and eating again. So there's my answer. She's outside with her friends, and we'll just have to see how she goes. I couldn't leave her in there as I'm sure she would have pined away and died miserable.

I'm continuing with the nystatin x 4 daily and the baytril x 2 daily, but am otherwise going to let her behave as normal. She's much happier, and if it doesn't work out, at least her last few days will have been fun ones...

Wish her luck, and oh, and Happy First Birthday to my gorgeous little girl Vanessa!
smile.png

Thanks Both!
big_smile.png

Just spoke to the vet and he said that Daisy will be fine outside now and if it helps her spirits then I did the right thing. He also advised to stop the nystatin tomorrow and that the Baytril course should finish on Saturday, so I've decided to put her over to boardings on Saturday with her friends after all. She'll be happier outdoors with some company I'm sure.

All I need to advise the people over there is to check that her crop is emptying and not to let her eat massive amounts at a time.

Fingers, legs and everything else crossed....
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Hmm, I just checked her crop at bedtime, and it has 'something' in it, right at the bottom, where her stitches start. It feels like a fleshy lump, about the size of a large gobstopper, and it is squashy but firm, so I'm sure it isn't food. Could it be a normal part of her anatomy that I don't know about, or perhaps swelling from the stitches? I'm paranoid something is wrong, as she still has watery stools and isn't eating much. She also went to bed early tonight, so obviously isn't feeling brilliant.

Is there something down there that had perhaps becomemore prominent through her illness? Oesophagus? Or something more sinister...

Back
Top Bottom