*UPDATE* pg 4*Rescue has 106 chicks-Need Homes-MN

hooligan

Songster
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Arkansas
Ok I am posting this to anyone who is in the area and might be interested in taking some chickens in:

Hello Chicken Friends

Thanks for forwarding this message to other potential chicken adoptors.

An area dog and cat shelter contacted us for help. They got a call from
a
police officer late last night about a box of 106 10 day old chicks who
fell
off of a truck. The breed and sex is not known.

The shelter is only able to temporarily care for the chicks for a
couple
days. Chicken Run Rescue has instructed them on how to care for them
but we
do not have enogh space to care for that many at one time.

We are looking for adoptors or volunteers who can foster them in groups
of
10 or 20 until we can secure permanent homes for them.

Please read our adoption/foster requirements at

http://www.brittonclouse.com/chickenrunrescue/#ADOPT

If interested in helping send us an e-mail at

[email protected]

Chicks are easy to care for at this age and Chicken Run will advise as
needed.

Thanks for any help offered.

mbc
--

You might also be able to contact animal control. They are most likely in Minniapolis, MN.​

Last edited:
Are you allowed to adopt them and eat them later or do you have to sign a contract saying you won't eat them but only care for them for the rest of their lives.

opps, forget it, I read their terms of adoption. What a joke.
People shouldn't adopt them, let them keep them.
JMPO.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't see what is so bad about their organiztion, they seem to truly care about their chickens and want the best for them. I would imagine under these emergency situiations, they would suspend all the red tape of adoption. I sure wish I was closer!!

How does a box of 106 chicks fall off a truck?
idunno.gif

Cornish X that are used in the food industry are commonly shipped in semi trailers so I would think they wouldn't be that breed.
And since Ms. Clouse doesn't know the breed they are probably from a commercial hatchery.

That is PATHETIC! Can't be used for sale of eggs or profit and can't eat them. OH yeah who wants to keep 106 meat birds in their yard for life. If they are meat birds this is totally unrealistic!

Quote:
The eggs really shouldn't be part of the contract but I think she is afraid that people will get them and house them like battery hens, in cages and such. Or just take them in as $ makers and not as companions.

We do sell our chickens eggs but that is only bc I am allergic and the bf can eat them all himself, better for them to not go to waste.

I really don't see why the 'eating/killing' is such a big deal. It is a RESCUE, no different than a dog rescue. And they are not asking for ONE person to take all the chicks, didn't you read the original post?

Last edited:
Well, the problem I see is people TRY to keep and feed meat birds and its PLAIN cruel. I get calls all the time asking to help the child that took home a chick from the class project of hatching and the birds have broken legs. Meat birds ARE NOT meant to eat and live and walk around your farm. In my eyes its crueler to keep them alive and break limbs and have heart attacks. I hope they are not meat birds and they can find nice homes for them. I think its a HUGE stretch to ask people to take chicks and not be allowed to sell their own eggs!

I have 5 Cornish X's that live here quite happily, they fell off the slaughter trucks.
They can live long lives (for them...1.5-3 yrs) and get around fine if cared for properly. As soon as they hear me at the gate they start running to the fence and follow me everywhere, esp. Bob. He tries to 'help' with everything, very nosey. Big birds, BIG personalities
smile.png

But please lets keep this on topic for those that are interested in rescuing some chicks
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom