UPDATE: Please tell me the humane thing to do.

Quote:
I'm not going to baby you either... she was probably suffering. (and that upsets me..) sorry. Thats WHY the cervical dislocation or be-heading is the MOST humane way to cull a bird!!! (and you were told that..) all the other cruel ways..freezing and that thing that you tried...is easier on US... NOT the poor bird!
Trust me..we dont like to do it either..we use the broom stick or hatchet method..and its over in half a second... they dont linger on and have to gasp for breath and suffer.
When you own animals and cant get them to a vet..it IS your responsibility to stop their suffering as QUICKLY as possible. And you didnt do it this time...i really hope that you have learned a lesson and do right by the animal next time. Sorry if i am a witch.. but the thought of a little innocent thing laying there gasping for air..REALLY bothers me... when she could have been pain free in an INSTANT....
idunno.gif
You can get mad at my post...that wont bother me.... just please do the right thing next time, thats all i care about. Take care

But you understand that she was only trying to put the chick to sleep in the most humane way (her intentions were good) and I'm sure there were lots of people praising that method. It's a very hard thing to break a neck or chop off a head, and a few months ago I would have done something along the lines of what she did to avoid having to do such a bloody thing. It breaks your heart having to do that. I know the time will come that I will have to do it or be a party to it. I am dreading it. I have a chick that might go that route, and I am just sick even thinking of it. It's brutal, but yes its my responsibility to make sure if its not having any quality of life or is in pain, I need to dispatch it quickly and as painlessly as possible. IF the baking soda method worked without any hitches, we would all be doing it. We're all just trying to find the most pain and stress free euthanasia methods for our animals, no one who takes a life is taking it lightly....

I guess my point is don't rub salt in her wounds, she is clearly very upset at the thought of her chick going through any suffering (as we all are) but she did what she thought was right. She has learned and the chick is not in pain any longer. It's not like she invented the idea to do this, it was an option offered to her on this forum by people who have done it and recommend it. With all the cruelty going on to animals and people in this world, you have a lot to feel bothered about besides this kind lady who was just trying to do right by her chick. Don't mean offense, just saying.

excuse me..but i'll be bothered about what i choose to be bothered about. Really.
And i never said that she wasnt kind..i KNOW her intentions were good. Did i ever say that they wernt??... dont put words in my mouth. (Please )
I said what i felt needed to be said...thats all.. Take care .

Last edited:
I had a 3 week old turkey with a badly broken leg. I aked my oldest son to send the little guy to "turkey heaven". I left my son in the garage and went into the house thinking he would "wrench" its neck and put it out of it's misery. Instead he got out the 12 guage shotgun and placed the bird away from the house and did the deed. I wasn't pleased. I know the bird didn't feel any pain and shame on my for asking a teenage boy to do my dirty work. But you could you the shotgun method. It gives you distance and the bird doesn't feel any pain.

Good luck.

Quote:
But you understand that she was only trying to put the chick to sleep in the most humane way (her intentions were good) and I'm sure there were lots of people praising that method. It's a very hard thing to break a neck or chop off a head, and a few months ago I would have done something along the lines of what she did to avoid having to do such a bloody thing. It breaks your heart having to do that. I know the time will come that I will have to do it or be a party to it. I am dreading it. I have a chick that might go that route, and I am just sick even thinking of it. It's brutal, but yes its my responsibility to make sure if its not having any quality of life or is in pain, I need to dispatch it quickly and as painlessly as possible. IF the baking soda method worked without any hitches, we would all be doing it. We're all just trying to find the most pain and stress free euthanasia methods for our animals, no one who takes a life is taking it lightly....

I guess my point is don't rub salt in her wounds, she is clearly very upset at the thought of her chick going through any suffering (as we all are) but she did what she thought was right. She has learned and the chick is not in pain any longer. It's not like she invented the idea to do this, it was an option offered to her on this forum by people who have done it and recommend it. With all the cruelty going on to animals and people in this world, you have a lot to feel bothered about besides this kind lady who was just trying to do right by her chick. Don't mean offense, just saying.

excuse me..but i'll be bothered about what i choose to be bothered about. Really.
And i never said that she wasnt kind..i KNOW her intentions were good. Did i ever say that they wernt??... dont put words in my mouth. (Please )
I said what i felt needed to be said...thats all.. Take care .

I really don't know what I said in my post for you to get so huffy about.
hu.gif
I don't think its unreasonable to say that making someone feel bad when they quite obviously already do is necessary. That's all. I guess I hit a nerve. That was not my intention, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom