Update:: Possibly sick chick?

So yours are bout two weeks and because it’s warm you let them out in pen to run around some? It’s should be warm here in high 70’s to high 80’s over next several weeks so if my 6 chicks were born on 22/23rd of this aug. And my other two ( silkies) were born 17/18 of Aug so would they be at 2-3 weeks old enough to run around in pen area for an hour or so? On nice warm days?
Yes. Only on warm days when it's not too windy. Consider if they had a momma hen, they'd have been outside on day 1.

I like getting them outside at first when they're just a couple of days old for just 15 minutes. I like starting them young and increasing the time until, like now, at two weeks, they're out frolicking in the sun in their pen most of the day, and enjoying it much more than their brooder. Plus, it's building up their resistance to cocci and other things that they don't get by just being confined to their brooder. This is just my personal way of doing it and I believe it toughens them up.

Just be careful though when you do this for the first time as if you see them all huddling up together in a corner somewhere, they probably need to be brought back in. Then just try again the next nice day. At first, this totally tires them out. It only takes a few times and they get stronger and able to stay out longer. You'll see how excited they get too.

So yours are bout two weeks and because it’s warm you let them out in pen to run around some? It’s should be warm here in high 70’s to high 80’s over next several weeks so if my 6 chicks were born on 22/23rd of this aug. And my other two ( silkies) were born 17/18 of Aug so would they be at 2-3 weeks old enough to run around in pen area for an hour or so? On nice warm days?
If your sure your coop is predator proof you can put them out for good at one week old with those temps...I would.

If your sure your coop is predator proof you can put them out for good at one week old with those temps...I would.
Ours for baby chicks isn't a coop, it's just a pen. The temp coop has 4-month-olds in it, and the main coop has all the old chickens in it. This pen is not secure at night, but we can't leave them out there anyway without a heater as it dips to 55-60F at night. It's just five of them, so easy for one of us to fetch them every night when locking up the other ones.

Back
Top Bottom