Update:: Possibly sick chick?

Most places that sell chicken feed and other farm animal items will have some to buy. You will master the art of holding a chick and get their beak open long enough to put just enough solution in to cause them to start swallowing, once you see them doing that give them a moment to complete the process and then open their little beak again and start once again.

If they are very weak this will work, then once you see they are resisting more you will know you are making progress. Then watch to see if they are getting strong enough to begin to drink the water etc. out of their container on their own. Just keep a close eye on them several times a day.

With all in there and the bedding pellets I really don’t have picture of poop brooder is a huge 2x 2 x5 foot black tote with hanging low chick waterer and ground feeder other end the heat plate
lid on to keep warmer but at angle for light temp is about 88-90 but warmer under plate
How old are they supposed to be?
Where did they come from?

A heat plate is sufficient for heat, they only need one warm spot (which is the heat plate), let the rest of the brooder be cool, it doesn't all need to be 88-90. Place food/water on the cool side of the brooder.

Photos?!!!
Chick(s), brooder, poop.

Thanks!

I agree, work on hydration.

Syringing a small chick is very dangerous. Do not try it unless you know exactly how to avoid aspirating it and killing it. Best to dribble the sugar water on the side of its beak and let it draw the water into its mouth. As for the egg, it's safer to mince it finely and let the chick peck the tiny bits. Forcing liquid egg into the beak is a recipe for disaster.

Scroll back and read post #3.
So I could scrabble egg cook it and then food process it to tiny tiny pieces and drizzle
How old are they supposed to be?
Where did they come from?

A heat plate is sufficient for heat, they only need one warm spot (which is the heat plate), let the rest of the brooder be cool, it doesn't all need to be 88-90. Place food/water on the cool side of the brooder.
thats where / how it is set up. Water food on cool side heat on other.

So I could scrabble egg cook it and then food process it to tiny tiny pieces and drizzle

thats where / how it is set up. Water food on cool side heat onNo

thats where / how it is set up. Water food on cool side heat o

Do go to the side of the beak when slowly introducing fluids, and allow them to swallow. So, I'm talking about 4-5 drops of fluid with each attempt.

Not one of our chicks aspirated fluid. They definitely would have died if we didn't try to hydrate them.

Do go to the side of the beak when slowly introducing fluids, and allow them to swallow. So, I'm talking about 4-5 drops of fluid with each attempt.

Not one of our chicks aspirated fluid. They definitely would have died if we didn't try to hydrate them.
Yes I did get a couple drops on her and she tried getting more on her own from the syringe edge then a drop or two landed on my husbands finger where he was holding her ( his thumb) and she drank that so I put more down several times and she drank it all then we put her back in with other chicks and she finally went to the water and drank some on her own! So hopeful she will eat some too later. She didn’t eat that I saw but might have when I wasn’t in room …I know she ate yesterday so I was more concerned she got fluids …. Hoping she eats some later from my hand again like yesterday

Ok got all my chicks. 8 total all seem to be doing very well except one …. I’m not sure it’s sick but it just seems different than the rest … they all seem to move around and come out as soon as you go in and lift lid on the pen area except the one. The breed is silver laced Wyandotte
There are two of each kind the other one just like this one follows the other chicks first day seemed a lil skittish so gave it time to get use to brooder etc
Second day out and following other chicks but would run under heat plate if you put in hand or whatever … but I did get it to eat out of hand later that day…
Today seems not coming out from under heat plate till 3-5 minutes after all the others are out and would not eat from me … may have ate but I didn’t see it I’m worried cause it doesn’t seem to move around as much and it’s the tinest chick in the bunch … I noticed a couple bigger ones kinda pecking at it… not bad but they did two of them. It did peck back at the one though
Should I be concerned? Is there something I should do for it? Or a way to know if it’s sick or not doing well?
My own experience with hatching 100s of silkies is that out of a batch of about a dozen per week or two, there is always a "runt," and they usually act at first like yours is. I just assumed it was because it was smaller and knew it, so a little scared and more careful for itself. Our brooder is nearly eye level with a screen, so I can observe from a distance and see that little runt always out there with the rest eventually, but yep, the first to scamper and run hide if he hears me coming. I run the TV set so they get used to noise and that helps immensely. By about the 3rd or 4th day, they seem to fit right in and act more like the rest of them. I have 5 left from a hatch two weeks ago, the runt being one of them. He's now the sweetest one that comes running over by me when he hears my voice. I've been taking them outside to the pen as it's been in the 80's and they all look forward to it, him especially, I guess.

Yes I did get a couple drops on her and she tried getting more on her own from the syringe edge then a drop or two landed on my husbands finger where he was holding her ( his thumb) and she drank that so I put more down several times and she drank it all then we put her back in with other chicks and she finally went to the water and drank some on her own! So hopeful she will eat some too later. She didn’t eat that I saw but might have when I wasn’t in room …I know she ate yesterday so I was more concerned she got fluids …. Hoping she eats some later from my hand aga
We ha
Yes I did get a couple drops on her and she tried getting more on her own from the syringe edge then a drop or two landed on my husbands finger where he was holding her ( his thumb) and she drank that so I put more down several times and she drank it all then we put her back in with other chicks and she finally went to the water and drank some on her own! So hopeful she will eat some too later. She didn’t eat that I saw but might have when I wasn’t in room …I know she ate yesterday so I was more concerned she got fluids …. Hoping she eats some later from my hand again like yesterday
We had one two month old so sick from coccidiosis that it couldn't lift its head, and was usually laying on its side like it was ready to die. By doing the drops of fluids until a small syringe was empty literally saved this chicks life.

Boiled eggs where you removed the yolk and then emulsify it with water can also be put into a syringe. Very slow application is paramount, so the chick can swallow at its own speed. Another thing to have on hand ....English Peas! Good source of Vitamin K.

My own experience with hatching 100s of silkies is that out of a batch of about a dozen per week or two, there is always a "runt," and they usually act at first like yours is. I just assumed it was because it was smaller and knew it, so a little scared and more careful for itself. Our brooder is nearly eye level with a screen, so I can observe from a distance and see that little runt always out there with the rest eventually, but yep, the first to scamper and run hide if he hears me coming. I run the TV set so they get used to noise and that helps immensely. By about the 3rd or 4th day, they seem to fit right in and act more like the rest of them. I have 5 left from a hatch two weeks ago, the runt being one of them. He's now the sweetest one that comes running over by me when he hears my voice. I've been taking them outside to the pen as it's been in the 80's and they all look forward to it, him especially, I guess.
So yours are bout two weeks and because it’s warm you let them out in pen to run around some? It’s should be warm here in high 70’s to high 80’s over next several weeks so if my 6 chicks were born on 22/23rd of this aug. And my other two ( silkies) were born 17/18 of Aug so would they be at 2-3 weeks old enough to run around in pen area for an hour or so? On nice warm days?

Back
Top Bottom