Update post 18-further problems-Hens dying

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
OK, I thought I had an isolated issue with two hens.
Now it looks like I have two more with the same issue.
The breed is Cochin. close to two years old. Issue is affecting my Buffs.
Symptoms are slight lethargy for several weeks. Slowly progressing, but have not noticed all that much, as we have over 40 hens.
We had had an issue with diarrhea with the first hen, but that was mostly under control after natural treament.

Last week, I found the first hen not moving with a purple comb. We culled her, and I suspected that this might happen to one moore hen I was keeping an eye on.
The second one died today, and as I was taking her out, I noticed that the other two Buffs combs are purple tipped now.

What gives?
The flock in general is healthy.
I do plan on picking up some extra vitamin supps for them this afternoon.

Last edited:
It sounds like something is robbing them of oxygen. Hard to believe 4 birds would have heart issues all about the same time. Hope you figure it out!

Quote:
Weird is right.
I do know I need to treat all of them for ear mites, but I would doubt that is causing an issue.

mites, lice, or worms? All of these can kill.
idunno.gif

I'll check the poos better, but I have not noticed anything unusuall.
I hate using commercial meds.
Any suggestions?
Anything natural I could use?

Quote:
Weird is right.
I do know I need to treat all of them for ear mites, but I would doubt that is causing an issue.

I'd check those waterers. I'd also check for a musty smell in the feed just in case...I dunno...I'm assuming here, but I know you take good care of the birds...but it just doesn't make sense. Bedding is not heavily ammonia-fied I assume...sheesh sister, I don't very well know!! Maybe something tiny is being overlooked. We get comfortable in daily routine when flocks are going strong and I have overlooked a couple serious no-no's before like not changing bedding on time and a bit of algae in waterers and such. MUST be a slight oversight somewhere. I wouldn't think it could possibly be anything else. I really really really hope you don't lose anymore!! Just a thought...any exposure to wild birds?
barnie.gif
What the hay?!!??!

Back
Top Bottom