UPDATE: Puffed up pullet has died. What happened?

She might have suffered from an innate heart condition. These issues become more noticeable the older and bigger the bird gets, and adding the extreme cold and being chased might have pushed her over the edge.

I am sorry for your loss.
I'm kind of hoping it's something innate at this point - at least it will remove the guilt :( Though it will add extra worry for the others, most of which came from the same breeder and two of which are hatch-mates from the same stock. I had a young chicken from that breed and breeder die mysteriously about a year ago, too, at 7 months old, and a lot of the surviving ones have other issues (eye problems, foot problems, wry neck, deformed tail etc.) so I'm really starting to think that it's an issue of poor stock. The breed is "under development" at this breeder (Papa's Poultry) and I know he's experimenting, so even though he denies it, I really suspect that he has genetic issues in his flocks. He has some experience, but started out as an amateur breeder, and still does it mostly for fun. All my birds that came from him have had exceptional temperaments - calm, friendly, social, cuddly, amazing pet chicken material, which is exactly what I wanted them for. So I'm very happy in that regard. But the Red Partridge Orpingtons in particular have had a lot of issues :(

UPDATE: I mailed her out to a lab for a necropsy today. That's my only option, there's nothing local anymore because of COVID-related staff shortages. But the University of Maine's lab is willing to do it, and it's surprisingly inexpensive - just $30 for the necropsy (more for additional tests if needed). I'll post an update when I have answers.

Please do keep let us know when you get the results.

If there's been other issues with the offspring, then you may be right that it's something genetic. Hopefully the necropsy will reveal more.
I had a young chicken from that breed and breeder die mysteriously about a year ago, too, at 7 months old, and a lot of the surviving ones have other issues (eye problems, foot problems, wry neck, deformed tail etc.) so I'm really starting to think that it's an issue of poor stock. The breed is "under development" at this breeder (Papa's Poultry) and I know he's experimenting, so even though he denies it, I really suspect that he has genetic issues in his flocks.

UPDATE: Necropsy report came back. She had chronic heart failure (bad heart valve) on top of multi-organ failure that had been brewing for some time, she just got pushed over the edge by the recent cold snap. By taking her back outside after her night in the basement, I probably sealed her fate, but on the bright side, she was already crashing so at least it put a quicker end to her suffering. The cause of the multi-organ failure could be genetic or environmental. I had described her living conditions in detail, and the report stated that they sounded optimal, but just to rule any potential toxicity out, they want to run some tests on the tissues, so I'll have them do that. These chickens don't leave their brand new coop and run, and have no access to sketchy chemicals, lead paint or whatever... so my bet is on genetic... but we'll see. She was an assisted hatch, and was very sexually immature (as observed by me based on comb/wattles, and as confirmed by necropsy of her reproductive organs). My poor baby, sounds like she had a lot wrong with her, and it doesn't look like I could have saved her :hit Up until the day before her death though, she never showed any signs of trouble at all. Healthy, active, loving and awesome chicken until suddenly she was not...

I'll post an update once I get the test results back. Then I'm going to email her breeder.

I'm so sorry. Just remember you did everything you could, and beyond. It sounds like there wasn't anything you could do for her. Its probably good that the cold spared her suffering, she didn't have to go downhill, she was happy, and didn't have to go through the process. I'm so sorry, but I do hope you can find some closure from the necropsy. Keep us updated. :hugs

UPDATE: Necropsy report came back. She had chronic heart failure (bad heart valve) on top of multi-organ failure that had been brewing for some time, she just got pushed over the edge by the recent cold snap. By taking her back outside after her night in the basement, I probably sealed her fate, but on the bright side, she was already crashing so at least it put a quicker end to her suffering. The cause of the multi-organ failure could be genetic or environmental. I had described her living conditions in detail, and the report stated that they sounded optimal, but just to rule any potential toxicity out, they want to run some tests on the tissues, so I'll have them do that. These chickens don't leave their brand new coop and run, and have no access to sketchy chemicals, lead paint or whatever... so my bet is on genetic... but we'll see. She was an assisted hatch, and was very sexually immature (as observed by me based on comb/wattles, and as confirmed by necropsy of her reproductive organs). My poor baby, sounds like she had a lot wrong with her, and it doesn't look like I could have saved her :hit Up until the day before her death though, she never showed any signs of trouble at all. Healthy, active, loving and awesome chicken until suddenly she was not...

I'll post an update once I get the test results back. Then I'm going to email her breeder.
Thank you for the quick update! This diagnose (innate/genetics) should be quite a relief, as it showed there is no deadly virus circulating in your flock.

Unless the incubator had a disfunction, usually there is something wrong with chicks in need of assistance for hatching. Only your good care allowed her to live such a long life :hugs

😭 So sorry for you. But remember that she was Loved when you sat with her. I would have done the same thing.
So very hard to deal with but now you know it was not something you did but just the breeding was not good. Hard to tell breeding until something like this happens.
I would contact the breeder and talk to them about this and the others that you get from them.
So so sad, hope the rest are doing well in the 1º weather we are having this morning.

Thank you for the update.
It's sad to lose one suddenly like that but I agree, getting results of a bad heart valve is more encouraging than a contagious disease.
So sorry that you have had troubles with these birds.

Appreciate the update; will be watching for the follow up! 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom