*UPDATE*Rooster Gurgling?? PLEASE HELP! Please I really need help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenChik, Jul 12, 2010.

1. ChickenChik

ChickenChik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Today I noticed that my rooster is making gurgling sounds when he breaths. It's not all the time just some times. I checked in the back of his throat for worms and saw nothing. Also, it has been EXTREMELY HOT here lately with heat index of 103 (not sure if that has anything to do with it). It is not a clicking sound like a respiratory problem but gurlgy! I have no clue what to do. ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Also, his crop is normal and not impacted

3. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    Please anyone. It has been a horrible day with two dead chicks (not related) but I need some help on this subject.

4. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    No symptoms other than the "gurgling"?

Have you ever heard a chicken with rattles before? They don't sound raspy like human when they have respiratory issues.

Only thing right off the top of my head that might sound gurgle-y could be sour crop, but if you have palpated his crop and you didn't get any kind of indication of that being the problem...

5. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    There has been no other symptoms other than hassling (it has been almost 110 degrees lately)I have never heard this from a chicken before.

6. ChickenChik

Apr 10, 2010
    Kinsey, Alabama
    I checked in his throat and I did the qtip test and nothing. NO WORMS in his throat! His really gurgles when I hold him and during the day. He also does not do it when he sleeps! It has been EXTREMELY HOT here with heat index of 110. Could the heat have anything to do with it? After I checked his throat and saw nothing, I put antibiotics in his water. What is wrong and what can I do. I am desperate I need help from all the knowledgeable people on BYC!!! [​IMG]

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

When it gets hot here, I run the hose for the chickens for a bit. They enjoy standing in the cool water and pecking at the floaties.

Maybe try the hose or place him in a shallow (cookie tray) pan of cool water. See if cooling him helps with the gurgling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by