UPDATE - Silkie with micro mite infestation! Irritated eyes and head feather loss.

If you saw a white bug on her eyelid, it sounds like a louse. When you treat the chickens you have to clean out litter, nest boxes, and repeat in 10 days. You may need to get some on her head, but not in the eyes. What are you using?
Yes that's how I clean and treat.

I just got this one so I'm not sure but I looked extensively for another bug and could not find one. I'm going to buy frontline drops/spray for the flock and her.

Ok so here's an Update.

This WAS in fact a mite infestation. But of the Tini Tiniest mites I have ever seen in my life. They were about 1/10 the size of an average louse. And about 1/4 the size of a flea.

I just happened to see them moving with a magnifying glass while examining the growing bald patch on her head.

For tonight I treated her head with a spray from TSC that is rated safe for use on animals. I dabbed a Q-tip with the liquid and wet the skin on her whole head face and neck with it. The mini mites began to fall off immediately. I checked her vent and found one there too so they must be all over. I sprayed around her vent with the spray too and sprayed the cage and bedding.

Tomorrow I am going to bathe her with flea wash, treat her with frontline drops and completely clean out the cage.

Here is a picture of how small the mites are. They are the two brown dots on the end of the Q-tip. They are mites as I examined them with a microscope to be sure.

Here's the spray can. It says safe for use on animals and poultry on the back print.

The mites are a white color when empty and a brown/rust color when engorged. They are what I call Micro mites. Smaller than a grain of sand and SO easy to miss.

I hope the pictures help others who have symptoms with out cause as it could be these mites. My eyes are very sharp and I can barely see them moving without a magnifying glass.

You have to stare at their skin for a minute or 2 to see them move! A quick check will miss it!

Silkies are very hard to find these mites on due to their fluff and dark skin.

I'm not sure where she got these bugs as the itching of her head (cause of feather loss) hasn't shown until now. It's not very advanced and seams to have started at her head. I would guess she picked it up in either my yard or previous owners yard or shipping possibly. Them little buggers are everywhere even in the cleanest of places. I would guess these mites ride in on something small like a canary or other tiny wild bird and multiply fast.

Guess this proves the value of quarantine for new birds or even your own birds, you just don't see what you don't see.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I just found this thread while looking for info on mites. I have noticed my chickens scratching but could not find anything on them. Ihwas hanging out with my chickens and came out itchy and feeling like something was biting me. I found two of the tiniest insects on my abdomen, under my shirt. OMG! My coop must be loaded. I have poultry dust or adams flea mist. I am concerned about what is safe around 15 week olds.Any help will be appreciated.

Yep thats what i found on mine. I treat with frontline on all my birds now. It even kills scally legg mites from my experience. You have to calculate it out. I calculated .015 ml for a mid size bird. .010 for bantam and .02 for large. I used the large dog one from like 90 to 180 pounds or something. The bigest one. Squirt it on the skin on the back just above the wings.

Cv-80 spray works great in the coup. If you use frontline long enough the mites in the coup will die eventually if every bird is treated monthly. But you have to keep at it. I do every 2 months to month and a half sense mites arent so bad where i live.

I hope this helps! :)

Yes, it's a great help. Did you use a syringe to measure it out? Can I use it on 15 week olds? Also, what is the cv-80? Thanks for your reply.

Yes. The one ml ones from the pharmacy. Diabetic syringes i think they are. And i would think so. Just adjust ammount for size.

Cv 80 is the pic above on this thread. Mayb on another page. Im viewing it from my phone atm. I get it at tsc. The one that says safe for use on animals. The pic is of my can so that should do. For me works soo much better than the dust as it coats things and gets in tge cracks and corners. If the coup is big you may need several cans. You can also spray the chickens. I sprayed the patch of mites that was by their vent and it kills instantly.

DE helps with flies but not these mites as they are too small and escape the dust.

No problem! ;)

Back
Top Bottom