UPDATE: Slipped tendon in 4-day old bantam chick - any hope?

kittyacid

Songster
14 Years
May 30, 2009
Clayton, NC
I have a chick with a slipped tendon. She was shipped Monday and it was like that when I picked her up on Tuesday. The hock is mildly swollen and she hobbles around holding it up, not walking on the hock, but she does rest on it. I tried to slip it back according to advice found here, and while I can feel it move, it did not stay in place. I read that it may take more than one try over several days, but I don't want to hurt her, especially if there is little to no chance it will improve. She is on medicated chick starter, Poly-vi-sol and I have been hand feeding her baby bird food. She is perky and does eat and drink on her own. I am a "try all avenues first" person, and the thought of culling my first pet chick is horrifying to me, but I have to do what is best for her. So my question is: should I have hope and try to ease the tendon into place for a few days or not? Is there hope for recovery and a good life for her? Thanks.

Last edited:
I, too am a try everything first person. I have never culled any of my pets and have some special needs chickens to show for it. But they are happy and thriving and living.
I would get some vet wrap (sometimes you can find it at feedstores but at a vet for sure) and I would take a small amount of that and keep the area wrapped (not too tightly). Change it only when nec. like when it's wet or really dirty. Keep it wrapped for a week and remove it gently and check on it. Re-wrap it if you think it still needs it.
I think this should work. Good luck and keep us posted.

Okay, off to get the vet wrap. To make sure I understand, the leg will be wrapped straight, not bent, right? So she will have a little peg leg?

I second the Vet Wrap, you can find it almost always were they carry horse supply's. Try to slip it back in place, then wrap it firm but not tightly with the Vet wrap. I'd give her a shot, she might grow out of it.

Okay, I think I did it. Now she is bit panicky and hops around with her leg straight out behind her. Does that sound like normal behavior?
32858_leg.jpg

Last edited:
I loosened it - I think her foot was turning red, thought it was too tight. Poor little thing, I feel like I am torturing her.

Yah, it looked a little red, LOL They all will flip out over being wrapped. Wait till you have a splayed leg chick, they go nuts at first when you put a strattle on them, then they calm down...
So the slipped tendon is on the lower part of her leg?...

Oh no, what does that mean, lower part of the leg? It is at the joint that I can feel it slip and her toes were affected too. Does it happen to the upper leg too? I tried to push it into place at the joint and then wrap in the direction that I pushed the tendon. It slid into place easier with her leg bent than it did straight, but the wrap covers most of her leg. This is so stressful.

Take a deep breath, you are doing fine. I was just wondering what part was affected. LOL
You did good with the wrap, just keep an eye on her and make sure it doesn't tighten up too much. Sometimes Vet wrap shrinks. She should do just fine. Chickens learn to adapt rather quickly.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom