**Update**they're gone**They're not all in the coop tonight!

I would be worried about the rest of the flock, if the coyotes know theres a easy meal to be had they will be back. hopefully they didn't get all the birds they scattered and some return in the next few days.

I'm hoping some are still scattered. I didn't find any buff orp. feathers and I'm missing 2 of them. The piles of feathers were in the area near the coop door. Once the coop door closes, they are VERY secure; like being in a house. The adjacent pasture was mowed yesterday; another attraction for coyotes looking for a free meal of mice and snakes and stuff. They would have had to work to get over or under the fence but we all know if they want in, they'll get in.

I guess I'll hang out in the evening (armed) for the next few days. I should have thought more about twilight attacks...

if you do have coyotes, try this method to catch them...

15ft length of 150# test fishing leader (monofilament). Tie off a one end to a fence post and the other with a 3/0 hook with a few cubes of beef stew meat. Coil the line and leave the meat about 3 ft from the fence post. Within 3 days, I guarantee that you will find the culprit - and he/she won't run away. Coyotes run in packs. It is best to place at least 4 baited hooks out there. Once caught, they are easy to dispatch with a .22 shot to the head.

I hope all will end well for you, my prayers are with you tonight. I don't have any chickens yet but as I read this my heart went to my throat, I have 12 dogs and one or 2 has gotten out from time to time and been gone over night even and I was panicky the whole time. One that was gone is blind and deaf and he couldn't hear a car coming if he tried so the terrible terrible thoughts that went thru my brain.....I have an over active imagination anyway and when times like that happen it starts working and as I read your tale my brain started going again and they aren't even my chickens !!

PMA....W. Clement Stone....Positive Mental Attitude... I will be positive in my prayers for you....Darn predators !!!!

God Bless...

Pat
Tarpon Springs, FL

Areala; thats so sweet of you and I'm like that too. I read these stories on BYC and I really feel for people that have problems with neighbors and lose chickens to predators. We'll just hope for the best and if there is a pack that has figured out how to get in and out, we'll take care of them. We have cattle on this property, too and there are several cows about to calve...

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear about this. These stories lead me to keep my girls in the barn because there's less likely to be predators.

We get darn near everything out here, from skunks and raccoons to wolves and grizzly. A loose chicken here is named "lunch" for someone.

Quote:
First let me say sorry you lost your girls! But I feel the same way! I have much happier chickens because they free range all day everyday. Right now especially with the temps at around 103-105 and the heat index almost 118 I'd rather loose one to a predator that from the heat!!
smile.png

Missi

It is sad that we can't let our chickens free range because of foxes, etc. Now that they have had a meal, some action needs to be taken to rid the area ....they will keep coming back until you don't have any more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom