*UPDATE* This is too FUNNY!!! {Pic Added}

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by WindyOaksYokes, Aug 24, 2007.

1. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Well, better mood now... I have been running around the house and outside cleaning and getting things ready for my son to come home... Anyways, I have this chicken that likes to jump in one of my sons windows and peck at him to wake him up in the mornings... well he's now back to school... so she doesnt get to do it anymore... But I found her jumping in his window and lay on his bed (where I might add... trixie our little boxer was laying basking in the sun)... I kept picking her up and taking her out to the coop twice... a few minutes later I hear this all to familier sound of one of the hens laying an egg... so I went out to the coop and and there was one of my hens gave me a pretty egg... noticed it was not momma hen... so I started looking for her... I come back in the house... took a sheet to the boys room... and what do I see....... MOMMA HEN... laying next to Trixie with an EGG!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] well for once I can now say... I GOT 2 eggs today!!!!!!!!!!!! I will post pic later that I got only after taking momma hen outside.... opps... Well need to go and get that cake and go pick up my son... Have a good day all!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a WONDERFUL DAY... even after the bad start!!
    Tes [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Sometimes I think God sends us these little pick-me-ups when we need it - our chance to 'stop and smell the roses' and count our blessings.

Congrats on your 2 eggs, AND your son coming home. I hope it's a great new start for him.

Susan

3. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    Sometimes I think God sends us these little pick-me-ups when we need it - our chance to 'stop and smell the roses' and count our blessings.

That is for sure!

Great story! How is it you can keep your windows up? Is it cooler there? We are 104 degrees today, in TN.​

4. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay... have a few minutes again before I leave LOL... It is in the 90's here today... We are unfortunate and do not have central air yet... (it's sitting on the porch waiting to be installed [​IMG] need one more piece that is at dads house) So we have all windows open and fans blowingggggg...

Okay... have something else to tell you all... When I came home from getting the cake... I was running in and out of the house with groceries... momma hen is in the coop this time... coming out of a nest... squakin like crazy... as to tell me she just layed an egg... I thought it strange... but went to look anyways... since she just layed an hour earlier in the bed... I didnt see how it was possible... anyways, no, she did not lay another one... Can anyone explain what the heck she is or was doing??????? Im baffled [​IMG]

And yes, I would agree.... God does work in mysterious ways.
    Tes

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  5. schmoo

schmoo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    West MI.
    I think she was just talking to you....asking for a yummy treat or something [​IMG] have a good day!

6. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    That is such a great story!! Makes for a good day. I'm finding with my cochins that they all have such great personalities and all different!

7. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Well heres the picture that I promised to post! I really wish I would have taken the picture before I took momma hen out and before trixie moved. You all would have loved it... my momma hen, laying next to a dog that is 10 times larger than her, and then an egg in the midst!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I am really going to have to start watching her!!!! I honestly need to put the screen back in the window... but they keep the fan in the window and screen wont fit... do you think if I put chicken wire on the outside it would work to keep her out? At least she gets to wake Cody up in the morning... that will make her so happy [​IMG]
    Arlee - thank you... yes, it is a great new start for him and he is so excited!!! He is finishing up High School this year, then he is going to attend college for a couple of years and then he plans to join the military! I am so proud of him!

Well I need to get some sleep... they all plan on waking mommy up at 8:00 am and it is now going on 2am... ugggg [​IMG]
    Good night......Tes

8. mamaboyd

mamaboyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Kendal.Ontario,Canada
    That's too funny of a story!! Glad things were better today. Could you put cardboard or tape a garbage bag around the space that the fan in the window isn't occupying?? We did this when we put air conditioners in our windows and the screens wouldn't fit. Whta about foam insulation??

Have a good sleep!!

Trish,

9. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I am going to have to figure something out for "momma hen" This morning again she jumped up in the window and woke up Cody... and layed next to him... Uggg... [​IMG] So I got her and took her out to the coop, along with a couple of others, one of which I know is laying and locked them in! I told them when they layed the egg I would let them back out, then I walked away... its been about 20 minutes now... guess I need to go out there and check on them and give them a treat... well providing they have laid. Cody just walked in and told me they were making all sorts of racket... so I guess I need to go check LOL... I did talk to DH... and we thought maybe if we put a piece of chicken wire up in the whole, we can staple it to the outside of the window and does not get in the way of the fan. At least it will keep her out... Hmmmm what do you all think? [​IMG]
    Tes

10. WindyOaksYokes

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Okay, well ummm... momma hen did it again!!!!! after about an hour or so I finally let them out of the coop... I figured she was not going to lay today... Well, I was WRONG!!! Everyone ended up leaving today about 2 hours later going and doing our thing... when I got home I went straight back to Codys room... and low and behold... another egg on his bed. You know, if I wouldnt have seen it for myself yesterday, I would think that someone was playing a joke on me... I am really going to have to put up chicken wire... I dont really know what else to do. Should I completly just lock her up so that she lays in the nest in the coop??? Please help... I do appreciate her not making me walk all the way to the coop... but I can not have her laying an egg on his bed either. I guess we are going to put something up to keep her out of his room... but what do I do to show her she needs to lay in the boxes??? Please... Anyone Help ME [​IMG]
    Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by