Update to broken hearted duck.

hugaduck

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 23, 2011
An update on our Poop. He passed away this morning. Last night in a last ditch effort and many frantic phone calls around the Island, we found a female Pekin whose owners said we could 'borrow' to see if that would rally him. But by the time we got her over to him, he was so weakened from not eating and now not drinking that he didn't have the energy to rebound. She tried her best to make friends with him, but it was too late. We brought him in the house and made him comfortable. I tried getting electrolyte fluid into him, but he simply wasn't interested. He was napping at 2:00am when I checked on him. I fell asleep briefly and dreamed Poop and Fifi were in the yard together dabbling and searching for bugs. They were bright white and together. I woke at 4:00am and checked on him and he had just passed away. Still warm but gone just the same.

So if someone says they are 'just ducks' and they don't have feelings or attachments, I truly can say that I have seen an animal die of a broken heart. They brought much joy and laughter to our lives. We were richer for having them, and poorer for the void they left now they are gone.

Thank you to everyone on this site for your kind words and advise. It was nice to know we were not alone and there are many good people out there who see beyond the meat and eggs. Please hug your duck today.

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear about Poop, I agree that the bonds they form are life long and he just couldn't go on without FiFi, So sorry....
hugs.gif

just wanted to ask, do you think they could have had an illness? they are so good at hiding things from us till to late.
sad.png

my little duck didn't want a hug..... but I chased him around, caught him and cuddled him close.

So sorry about your Poop & his broken heart
hugs.gif
and also sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss
sad.png
we got a pair of male and female rouens just 3 months ago, a stupid ferral cat killed our female, I truly believe he was heart broken for a week not eating, barely drinking, just sat all day, but luckly we do have other ducks who would nudge him and even one of my female pekins would sit next to him and even once brought him a chunk of squash. He came out of it and is fine running around with the other ducks/drake. He has not mated with anyone else, I am thinking he never will but we are looking for a new rouen to introduce him too in hopes he will take a liking to her.

Fifi had a limp on and off for about 6 months. It could have been Poop was too rough on her with her being the only female. I understand that Pekins are prone to limps or arthritis because of their heavy build. In our previous home they were also on a concrete floor, albeit with a thick dressing of chips and straw, however we moved to a new home approx. 2 months ago and their new home has a wood floor which seemed to be easier on her. Her limp seemed to improve but their survival gene tells them not to look too sick or they become bait. She did not display any symtoms with runny stools, noses, or eyes; any obvious wounds, sores or other abnormalities, simply resting more. It could have been a bacteria or sickness that went unnoticed. When they sicken there is no time to spare.

Their coop was cleaned everyday and scrubbed every month. Their water and food bowls were cleaned everyday. Drinking water was fresh twice a day with along with the bottomless duck feed bowl and oyster shell supplements there was a fresh vegetable salad every evening. For almost six years I washed and chopped tomatoes and greens for them and I always made sure that the greens especially were washed. You never know what they put on greens at the processing plant especially after the spinach and lettuce recall and I seem to remember a recall on tomatoes. That one was tough because tomatoes were Fifi's absolutely favorite food. She wanted her share, Poop's share and anything left she would take that too. It could have been the pain that took her as Ducks are very good at hiding their problems until they are going downhill fast. She layed this summer but had not been laying for the past 2 months.

But Poop was a strong healthy duck who literally wasted away from not having Fifi with him. He simply became depressed and stopped eating and then drinking. Everything was normal with him until the end.

I am sure that I will be going over and over what I could have done differently in hindsight.

Thank you for listening.

Oh, this is sooo sad, I am very sorry that you lost Poop too. Sending tons of cyber hugs. I know how much it hurts to lose a pet, regardless of species.

I know its so hard to know, but I am sure you did all you could to help Poop after FIFi died, he just missed her too much. I have some ducks getting up in age and i try so hard not to think about when they will go on, and just try to enjoy them every day, they get to be such a part of our families. And only people on here can understand this. Bless you and the memories will last a life time.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom