Update to respiratory issues

We had respiratory issues with a few of our girls. We lost a couple. Then my wife started rubbing Vicks vapor rub on the neck and chest of our sick birds and a dab in the roof of their mouth. Once we started this treatment we hardly lose a bird. It may or may not help your birds but for the time being no respiratory issues in our flock. We lost a favorite hen this week to a suspected snake bite. So I know that every loss is felt. Fortunately we have offspring from Poofy to carry on.

Post 7 is a very good one about bringing in new birds from somewhere else, and causing the existing flock to become sick. I too suggest getting testing and a necropsy (by your state vet) on any bird that dies to find out what germ is causing the disease. Here is where to find yours:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Black walnut trees can be toxic, but I haven’t hear that about hickory. It may not be a tree problem at all.

Since we moved their water to an area where the nuts and leaves can't fall in their water we haven't had any more signs of any illness.

Back
Top Bottom